This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Unusual pain in top of the forearm...

Started by ausswe, July 15, 2014 · 2 Replies · 147 Views

ausswe

Hej everyone,

Don't know if this is really the right forum for this but I have developed this kind of aching pain on the upper right side of my forearm just a couple inches below the wrist. I have no idea what it is or what to do about it... I don't feel it except in certain positions one example being the hands pointing backwards wrist stretch. Every time I rock back it hurts. All I do is rock climb and so gst. I've never felt or heard of this in rock climbing before. Could it be caused by wrist push ups or something like that? It is odd.

Cheers

mcneuen

I had a pain very similar to what you describe last summer.  It was a strain of my wrist extensors and was caused by doing gripping work (fat bar deadlifts) that exceeded my body's ability to handle the load.  Your rock climbing might be the culprit.

 

This injury took a long time to heal.  The symptom that lingered was a pain caused when any pressure was placed on that area of the forearm, something that happened every time I tried to hold a kettlebell in the rack position.  I was basically unable to hold a kettlebell at all from July through Sept, and I didn't get back to holding pre-injury weight until after the new year. 

 

But it's fairly unusual to have an activity that places external weight on top of the forearm.  If I hadn't been doing kettlebells, I probably wouldn't have been as impacted by the injury.  During the healing time, I was able to do almost everything else.

 

Still, an injury is a problem, even if it doesn't interfere with your particular activities at the moment.  If your injury is the same as mine, I'd rest up on the grip work until you've cleared that pain.

ausswe

Sounds really similar to mine but climbing doesn't hurt it unless I do a very odd or unusual movement. I was thinking it might have been from wrist push ups but I have been taking them super slowly and doing each cycle twice for good measure. Anyway I guess I'll rest up. Would it be okay to do so,e light climbing because as I said climbing doesn't actually hurt it unless I have to twist my arm around a lot while holding the grip which rarely ever happens and is easily avoidable. Driving the car can hurt when I turn the stearing wheel hard or turn a tap off.