This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Beginning F1.

Started by IanJoe15, July 15, 2014 · 5 Replies · 306 Views

IanJoe15

Hola,

 

My name is Ian and I've just recently purchased Foundation 1/Handstand 1 and have a few questions to get things rolling in the right direction. Some of these questions might have been answered in the course instructions or may seem pretty silly, however I like to have a second explanation on certain things to ensure that I gain a full understanding and grasp it completely.

 

So after I bought F1 I realized it might require some equipment that I do not possess, such as the Rings and Stall Bar. I'm unsure how much of an issue me not having those will be, also If anyone has any ideas for good things I can use as a substitute?

 

Secondly, this program works as a workout routine and focusing on this should be efficient rather than combining this program with weightlifting perhaps, or cardio? Also, if I should still do push-ups, pull ups, etc in the meantime to build strength? 

 

I'm fairly new to fitness altogether, I used to weight lift with a friend for a short time but since I've been working a lot more, I've become rather sedentary unfortunately. However, I'm hoping to change that with this program and any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. As I hope to get this right. 

 

Thank you for your time,

 Ian.

Salivanth

I don't feel qualified to give advice as to additional exercise in addition to F1, but as for the equipment:

I don't know if you can substitute something for rings for Hinge Rows, but a bar won't do. As soon as I picked up my rings, the exercise became easier and harder in all the right ways. If you substitute something, it'll have to be something that allows your head to be between your hands. As for stall bars, they'll eventually be needed, but the only thing they're needed for in PE1 is the Upright Lat Lean, which is easily substituted; anything you can grab with your arm at the right height will do for that. A rail, a balustrade, hell, even a doorknob might work for this exercise, if suboptimally. From what I've seen, stall bars will eventually be an essential item, but you don't need them to start.

Adriano Augusto

In regard to other training, at the beginning you can combine with everything else you were doing but when you start to get mastery sets/weeks, your body will start to ask for a reduce of volume.

 

When I started F1/HS1 I was doing rock climbing, martial arts, capoeira, weightlifting, etc etc. A lot of volume, a lot of things. Of course, I didn't start to see real results with F1 until I drop 90% of those things. You've to focus in what you want, if you want results. If not, you are going to be everywhere.

 

Add cardio or some form of cardiovascular training is good and Coach recommend it. I preffer HIIT x2 times a week. 

 

Every other thing you add related to training and you put your effort on it, it will slow your Foundation progress. The time is better spent work on mobility/flexibility rather than more strenght. This is Gymnastics STRENGHT Training, so there's strenght and A LOT of it. 

 

Do you can keep going with pullups/dips, etc? Of course, but if you canno't master Hinge Rows or Pushups, you've no business working in others things.

 

Just my advice.

 

Cheers!

IanJoe15

Thank you for your input and advice. 

 

I will focus on F1/HS1. Put all my energy towards improving in that.  Also, the rings seem to be less likely to be substituted. So I should just pick some up since I can't really do without them. 

 

You say that the stall bars will be needed at some point but can I use, say some bars at a playground perhaps even when the stall bars are required?

Salivanth
IanJoe15 said:

Thank you for your input and advice. 

 

I will focus on F1/HS1. Put all my energy towards improving in that.  Also, the rings seem to be less likely to be substituted. So I should just pick some up since I can't really do without them. 

 

You say that the stall bars will be needed at some point but can I use, say some bars at a playground perhaps even when the stall bars are required?

It would depend on the bars, but even if they were less than ideal, I think they should be usable.