This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Manna MN/PE1-iM

Started by Aaron Hiscox, July 13, 2014 · 4 Replies · 286 Views

Aaron Hiscox

Hi,

 

I have just started Foundation 1 / Handstand 1; think it's great so far, but I have an issue with MN/PE1-iM. On the last bit of rotation of the shoulder just as I reach the limit of my bending over flexibility (which is not that much at the moment!), my shoulder painfully clicks; this happens with my right more than my left and happens at the top of my deltoid near the anterior side, where after the set it is a little sore. Any advice would be appreciated  :), like should I just continue or maybe alter the exercise in some way? Also, is it something that will rectify in time?

 

All the best,

Aaron

howens

Are you actively pushing the weight away from you. That help for me.

Aaron Hiscox

Will give it a go during my next session - thanks!

 

All the best,

Aaron

spacepilot

Your problem sounds very similar to the one I'm having: loud and jarring click at the bottom of the bend, when I rotate the weight. Dull pain after the set under the anterior deltoid. Like you, my right shoulder was worse than my left. So I tried reduced ROM, bending down about the same amount but only rotate the weight half a turn (from thumb pointing back to pointing forward). This was going well (no clicking) until today's session, when my left :angry: shoulder started clicking even at reduced ROM. I had to fix this. So I watched the course video more closely, and noticed the athlete starts rotating the weight earlier than I do. So I experimented initiating the rotation earlier on the way down, and try to get my thumb pointing forward before I bend down to much. This seems to solve the problem for me. After several reps of practice, I was able to go full ROM (as far as my body allows) without clicking, and my movement felt a lot more fluid than I've remembered. You may want to watch the video again, and experiment with the rotating/bending movements to see if you can find a pattern that works for you. I'm done with Foundation for the day, but I hope this will allow me to go further with windmill starting next session. I still think there's something wrong with my shoulders that make them click, but I figure if I can practice coach's iM movements without pain, hopefully whatever it is will get resolved with time.

 

Sven Ravnstag

Have you tried internally rotating you shoulder as you go down? This in combination with pushing the weight (for me this is a cue to activate the muscles of the shoulder more than actually trying to elevate the weight further) prevents this issue.