This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE2>iM. Issues with strength, not mobility

Started by NoHiddenCosts, July 11, 2014 · 4 Replies · 190 Views

NoHiddenCosts

So yesterday, after my usual warmup with shoulder mobility, I decided to try something out of curiosity. 

 

I am still stuck on HS/PE2>iM, and don't seem to be raising the bar much. I've assumed the issue was mostly mobility-related. Yesterday, for the first time, I tried out this iM from a prone position on the floor, only to discover that I could easily reach the horizontal position (and beyond) at a decently narrow grip!

 

This was kind of exciting, as it seems that my issue with this exercise is not as much mobility as I thought, but is definitely a strength issue. I'm now curious if my approach to this exercise should change whatsoever based on this new information. Knowing that I really need to build strength in this odd position, should I adjust anything?

 

Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Adriano Augusto

I experimented the same thing with this iM. The mobility was there but not the strenght part.

 

In the end we're lifting a weight (2kg as a minimum) so... it needs strenght too.

 

I spent 1 year with this element until I got it, so... just time. You don't have to adjust nothing, just keep practice and lift the damm bar as your maximum effort. I realiced to that I wasn't putting all my effort in actually LIFT the bar. Try harder.

 

Cheers.

Murray Truelove
Adriano Augusto said:

I experimented the same thing with this iM. The mobility was there but not the strenght part.

In the end we're lifting a weight (2kg as a minimum) so... it needs strenght too.

I spent 1 year with this element until I got it, so... just time. You don't have to adjust nothing, just keep practice and lift the damm bar as your maximum effort. I realiced to that I wasn't putting all my effort in actually LIFT the bar. Try harder.

Cheers.

Same for me, I made the most progress when I focused everything I had on lifting the bar! I've said it elsewhere but it's the difference between 95% and 100% effort.

Eric Baum

What I did in the beginning of this exercise that really helped me was doing it in a negative fashion with someone helping me get to 90 degrees and doing my best to hold the top position afterward.

This way I could feel the correct activation at the top and after a while I was able to lift there myself. 

NoHiddenCosts

Thanks for the comments, guys. There is definitely a large part of me that is just looking for a way out of this iM; it is so frustrating. I'll try to remind myself just to push those 10 seconds.