This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Need some help with PE2 and iM

Started by Kara Beutel, July 10, 2014 · 4 Replies · 170 Views

Kara Beutel

Hey everyone! 

Passed PE1 fairly easily, and oddly tested mastery of PE2 and got it on the first shot. Problem is, I had trouble replicating the 5x60 in the next workout (stuck on iM too). So I decided to video it. I look pretty different from the course vid, but I don't think it's horrible. I actually get more vertical, which I would think for eventual handstands and "stacking" would be preferable, but I seem to be bent a bit at the hips even though I'm trying to PPT/extend my hips. Any helpful tips??

Pword = hs.pe2

 

Also, here is the iM. This one feels horrible! I used a broom and put my hands on the outside of my hips like in the course vid. ROM isn't too bad, but It just feels.... off. Very tight and pinchy in the traps. Is it better to go wider with my hands so I can get the full ROM without pain/pinching, then work on bringing the hands closer? (I'll add weight, I have a five lb plate) Or should I keep the hands shoulder-width and work on increasing vertical ROM and time even though it feels pretty off?

 

Pword = hs.im2

 

Thanks!!!

TANSTAAFL

Things could be much worse...unfortunately I am aware of that first hand for most things, but I digress.

 

The headstand looks find. Coach has stated it is personal preference if you want to be more on the forehead or top of the head, so play around with it. As for the tilt in the demo vid, I also believe if you can go straighter you should as it will help you later on. This PE is mostly to get you used to being upside down and body awareness. That said, once you're comfortable you can work on getting a straighter line. Also you can play with the hand distance from the head, but you want to try and hit more of a 90 degree angle at the elbows.

 

As I said in your windmill post, most of the iM's NEED to be weighted, however miniscule to work the correct muscles. Put 3lbs on there and it's a whole different world of craptastic. As for ROM and where to put the hands, the general rule is:

 

1)Move where you need to be to get full ROM with your starting weight.

2)Start moving hands closer(in this case) very slowly over cycles.

3)Once you hit mastery with your starting weight, increase the weight by a small amount and restart at 1.

 

Tip for #2: use tape, etc. to mark your stick so you can actually see progress no matter how small. This will be a huge help in the mental aspect when you feel like you're making no progress/hitting plateaus. If you move the tape in only 2cm, this will force your brain to process that progress has been made and give you positive feedback even if only on a subconscious level.

Murray Truelove

+1 for marking your stick. I've got different coloured tape on mine.

Kara Beutel

I hadn't realized my elbows were more than 90degrees. I will work on that (probably explains why y wrists still ache even after all the wrist work before doing the actual PE). 

 

Great idea to mark the stick. I will put tape on the broom handle and also put my 5lb weight on it. I have been super nervous about the eventual dislocates that I know are coming later, so working on this will be helpful there I think. I read in one of the other threads to do a stretch (possible called a flex curl?) where you bend over and bring your arms up behind you, like a folded over versionof this iM without weight. I have been doing that in warm-ups and feel a definite stretch, so I will keep that up as well.

 

Thanks!

TANSTAAFL

Yeah, that's a good stretch. I also like the one where you sit on the ground and put your arms straight behind you then inch out with your butt away a bit. Gives a good stretch and really works the elbows which is one of my issues...it's easy to go to hard so be careful. Joshua Naterman mentioned this one a long time ago in reference to German Hang prereqs and prehab.