This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Manna form checks - PE1 mastery, PE2 help?

Started by Kara Beutel, July 10, 2014 · 6 Replies · 295 Views

Kara Beutel

Hey all!

 

So I passed PE1 of manna easily on the first shot. I started PE2 and feel like they are horrible so I started on week 1. Since PE2 was SO much harder than PE1, I figured I'd video a 15 rep set of tuck ups as a warmup before doing my 3x3 of PE2. Would you mind checking my mastery form on PE1? I also included my windmills and form check for PE2. Here are my videos:

 

1 - Tuckups (pword = mn.pe1): 

 

2 - Windmill im (shown not weighted, this was part of warmup) (pword = mn.im1): 

 

3 - Straddle ups (pword = mn.pe2): 

 

And while I'm on the topic of Manna... hubby and I are doing this program together and he'd like a form check on his windmills. As a former dancer I have pike flexibility for days, I'm also hypermobile. My husband however is quite opposite - all strength and terrible flexibility. Any tips on improving windmills for him?

(pword = mn.im1): 

Kara Beutel

And after reading some manna threads, I now realize that my hands should be touching the floor on each rep. Hadn't noticed that in the course video so will work on that next time.

 

Also, the different in my and my husband's playlists is rather funny when the vids are watched back to back, lol!

KibboKift

Hi Kara,

Your tuck ups look fine to me.

With the windmills I think you want to be bending to the side as well as forward. This tends to focus the stretch on the working leg.

With straddle-ups, you have a nice gentle curve in the back and your compression and straddle both look very good. I am jealous. If they feel horrible in the sense that you can only manage a few reps with that form, then you are in the right place at week 1 and you can expect your endurance to improve week by week.

 

Your husband seems to be having a bit more of a problem than you with the windmills. I really struggled with these too. Although I believe the primary focus of this mobility element is to hit the hamstring and adductors, it is the sort of exercise which demands a basic level of flexibility in several areas of the body (shoulders, obliques, lats, glutes, aswell as the legs), meaning that tightness in any of these can potentially compromise form and ROM.  I suggest only going as low as good form can be maintained and starting with a light weight to make it easier to identify the tightest areas. These can then be focused on in separate stretching/rolling sessions.

As far as form goes, his feet should be at 90 degrees to each other and the non-working leg should stay vertical. Both of these will make the movement harder, in the sense that they demand more of a stretch from the working leg, but more productive in the long run.

TANSTAAFL

Good stuff from Kibbo.

 

I would add that you have a slight arch in the straddle ups in the relaxed between rep position, just keep in mind to keep the lower back flat on the floor throughout the whole set. I don't think this will be a problem for you, just something to think about. The ROM and compression look better than mastery to me(translate: "I hate you").

 

As for the windmills, it's hard to say without any weight on yours as your form would most likely change with any weight. I would recommend even for warm up to use a very light weight. Coach has stated elsewhere that without any weight some or all of the target muscles will not be activated which even the smallest amount of weight will fix. Also your working arm seems to be moving off line a bit, but with some weight this usually stops as it forces you to be balanced or fall over.

 

Your male counterpart seems to lack some mobility...sorry I couldn't resist :). No worries, we are all super awful in different areas. I would change his foot position as Kibbo said. Also he would most likely benefit from some glute, hamstring, lower body self massage and stretching in warmup and/or throughout the week. Tennis ball, lacrosse ball, foam roller, whatever works. We could give some more specific advice if you can pinpoint where the problems are...where the lack of ROM is coming from.

Kara Beutel

Awesome stuff, thanks you two!

 

Hubby's lack of flexibility comes from a few different points, though he's working on it. He doesn't have much hamstring mobility (finds it difficult to sit on the floor with legs out straight in front of him). As for spinal flexion, I think he's a bit careful with it since he tweaked his lower back on deadlifts about 6 months ago. He's a physical therapist so he knows how to fix himself, lol. The mobility is just a limiting factor for him. I will show him this thread and your comments. Thanks!

 

And lol @ "Translate: I hate you" :)

 

I'll update the vids with some weight on the windmills soon too.

Kara Beutel

Ok, this week is week 3 (3x6). Form seems to be getting better, and I'm touching the floor now. Here's an updated vid with the increased reps:

Pword mn.pe2

Keegan

Looks good to my eye. Now on to mastery. :-)