This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jumping rope

Started by dritar, July 10, 2014 · 12 Replies · 555 Views

dritar

Hello,

 

I'd like to know if jumping rope can be used as the recommended cardio to put on top of foundation. I was thinking of doing some light jumping rope on non foundation days. Is that any good ? I like the idea because it seems to be something that improves coordination and it's a portable workout (which is important to me).

 

Can anyone recommend any protocol with jump rope ? 

RJS

Bonjour,

 

I jump rope alot, but i am not an expert. From my experience jumping rope can be the cardio to go along with Coach's courses, thats what i have been doing for almost a year. I have seen many benefits from it, good cardiovascular and strength wise. Also ive developed a large muscle in front of my shin bone that i never had before, and i can jump very high because of it. 

 

I jump rope as a warm up for 5 or 10 minutes, depending on what cycle im in. 

 

On rest days, i push with cardio for up to 30 min. once every few months i go for 1 hour, but it takes me two weeks to recover from that. 

 

of course, the weeks leading up to mastery i chill abit and keep it light. 

 

Sound good? 

 

Au Revoir

Spphysio

Jump rope is just amazing. However how are your skills? I mean to truly benefit from jump rope work you need to get really good at using it. What I mean is you should at least be able to sprint in place. Then you can also add double unders, criss cross etc. Once you build up your skills with the rope you can use it with intervals, circuits or longer sessions using an approach similar to fartlek.

 

Here are some link from Ross Enamait you might want to check out about jumping rope.

 

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym26.htm

 

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/jumprope2.htm

Oliver Harris

Coach mentions the benefits of Jump Rope for over 50's in his podcast with Robb Wolf. It's been shown to improve bone density and the increased blood flow is a given. I personally use it as a warm up, I alternate between feet together and alternate feet, with short sets of 120 skips with my foundation warm up elements inbetween. Play around with it, it shouldn't tire you out just build work capacity gradually

dritar

Thanks everyone. 

 

Yeah, I'll have to work on the skill aspect of it first as I think I've only tried once in my life. That's why I find it appealing, it's seems to be the conditioning exercise that is most "gymnastic-ey" in the sense that you learn increasingly complex movements :).

RJS
Spphysio said:

Jump rope is just amazing. However how are your skills? I mean to truly benefit from jump rope work you need to get really good at using it. What I mean is you should at least be able to sprint in place. Then you can also add double unders, criss cross etc.

i dont see that as completely true. In my opinion you need two legs and have the ability to jump up and down, the rest comes with experience.

dynamo

I'm currently jumping rope for my cardio because it is convenient to do in my apartment and when I travel. I raise and lower the intensity to match my F1 / H1 cycle intensity to keep everything in synch.

Perhaps Coach could elaborate on whether aerobic, anaerobic or both types of exercises are recommended and for how long.

The Hansenator

I've started jumping rope. My lower legs tire before I get a good "workout" but I'm hoping that will change in time.

 

My physical therapist told me that jumping rope is "fantastic" and is one of the best postural exercises there is. He encouraged me to keep doing it and wishes more people would.

john_c

I think it's great, I have done it a lot in the past and found that it is quite a good indicator of how you are feeling. The more tired you are the more your coordination goes and the rope just keeps getting caught in your feet. It's great when you get your rhythm going and you can start doing all the flash stuff like double unders and the like. Spphysio posted some great links. 

It's a great warm up too.

Start slowly though as it can be quite tough on the calves and arms at first.

Happy Skipping !!  As it called here.

Geni

Jump Rope is great! I got Ross's Jump Rope DVD & has lots of cool programing ideas.

I usually do it 5-10 min before F1.

Spphysio
Geni said:

Jump Rope is great! I got Ross's Jump Rope DVD & has lots of cool programing ideas..

X100000
MT Nordic

ido uses 1 legged jump roping (as do I).  it's a good, fairly safe, version of plyometrics and a great warm up. You're unlikely to injure yourself jump roping, but you do get some benefit to the elastic reactive system, which is a great complement to the slow steady SLS progressions.