This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F7 in 40 minutes

Started by Mark Collins, July 10, 2014 · 12 Replies · 665 Views

Mark Collins

After listening to Coach on the podcast mention we should do a workout in 20 minutes I suspected I was taking too many breaks. I can usually do F7 in 60 minutes so I must be have been resting too much.

Today I made a big effort to not rest between the work set and iMs. I also moved quickly from exercise to exercise with a quick drink of water. I got through the whole workout in 40 minutes with no resting. It was obviously a lot harder and I could not do as many reps, especially on the last sets. I will have to drop back a mini cycle for most exercises. This was week 3 in my cycle so there I should be able to keep this workload up regardless of the week.

I think I was turning Foundation into more of a strength workout and missing out on the conditioning aspect.

The less rest means I will probably progress slower due to conditioning and strength endurance limitations. I think this will line up better with my connective tissue adaption.

Murray Truelove

Damn. Takes me about an hour to get through F1a. How many warm up sets do you do? Do you do any additional warm up?

Blows my mind that you can move through it so fast, in the podcast thread I gave the example that doing 4 PE's that all had 5x60s would take 20 minutes without warm up sets and IM's.

I'm pretty diligent with the prescribed rest time, at most taking a sip of water. I have a few minutes break when moving between elements, especially if I need to set up equipment. I'm mostly in the early PE's though.

Adriano Augusto

Coach said so because at the beginning, taking into account that most the people will be in the first elements/first weeks, that would be the duration of a workout.

 

But in week 11 with all mastery sets, even 4 exercises (FL/sPL/HBP/RC) becomes easily 1 hour long; F7 takes longer, for the report of many users and from myself too.

 

This is Gymnastics Strenght Training. In my opinion, no need to rush through the exercises. During the exercises the rule is NO REST at all just do the mobility as a rest, but in between the exercises, 10 minutes may be excessive but 5 minutes? Sometimes I've to take a rest of at least 5 minutes between my planche leans and PPP just for the sake of performance... 

 

Of course if you think you're resting too much, maybe you're resting too much.

 

No need to overthink this in my opinion.

Ravn

LOL, I can't even do F7. Doing MN/PE6, negative body levers and windshield wipers in the same session is out of the question for me. Yeah, I know, another weakness to address... :(

LateStarter@46

I agree with Adriano, and I think (for me) the time is coming to every so often do the day's program as a competitive timed event - this will help bring the conditioning aspect up.

Jon Douglas

Seems about right. Mine takes around 40-60 minutes, but there is a change of location and equipment in there too :)

I am always careful to keep the pace up once I start an element but between exercises is unavoidable to an extent for me. Sometime I will have stall bars and a weights setup :S

Mark Collins

I have taken 40 minutes to do F4, but looking back I was resting too much. For my warm up I did 5 minutes of skipping, 20 push ups and 10 xiopengs. Then I got straight into PPP. I found I was warm enough for the next exercise. Usually I would do HBH and if the clock was at 36s I might wait until it goes to 45s before doing the shoulder bridge. Then at 1min 15 I would wait until 1min 30 until I start the next set of HBH. Today I didn't so there was a lot of 10 seconds gained. 10 seconds over 5 sets is nearly one minute for 7 exercises adds up to 7 minutes. I am sure for some exercises like bent arm hangs I was getting 15 seconds after the iM until I jumped back on the bar. Add in the less rest between exercises and having not wait for equipment as I train at home and there was the 20 minutes saved.

The workout felt different, but I liked the challenge. I wonder if we had to do F4 at Coaches gym before doing skills would it take 40 minutes or 20 minutes?

lnick1975

I have noticed that as i advance through the exercises my time does get cut back dramatically as i get used to doing the exercises. So, I too decided (after hearing the pod cast) that it was time to quit working the exercises in a split and just do F7 twice a week.  At least at this point the exercises only took me about 50 min. to get through. I've also noticed that i am slightly sore (& i like it), something that i haven't felt in awhile. I'm sure its due to the increased work load per session.   

Mark Collins said:

The workout felt different, but I liked the challenge. I wonder if we had to do F4 at Coaches gym before doing skills would it take 40 minutes or 20 minutes?

I'm sure if you're planning on getting certified, performing the exercises on the lower end of the time scale would prove you truly mastered them.  So, performing F7, building up your workload, will only help you get there. 

Jon Douglas

Man. Its gonna be weird when people start completing foundation and it gets put in perspective how basic it is, when we're all struggling to get through it now :D

Spphysio

I think that 20 minutes may be true for workouts where you train two-three elements together for example SL, MN and SLS. I am saying this because when training FL, SPL, HBP, RC takes me about 30-35 minutes when I am on week 11. And I move from one exercise to the other almost immediately. If you think about it for HBR 5 x 60 and its iM you need about 8 minutes to complete it. 

Alan Tseng

I bet Coach's athletes gets horrified when they're asked how many sets they do.

"3 sets? You mean I have to repeat my entire 45 minute non-resting workout 2 more times?"

Jon Douglas

"Why are those guys doing warm ups for so long? When do they start training? " :D

ausswe

I think coach may have been stressing that the workouts don't take much time really (doing f1 split) I don't think it was meant as an exact time more of an average or approximation... I have finished f1(b) on the early weeks in 15 mins and later weeks took 20-25. This is with no rest. Also as the volume decreases especially in f2 onwards the times will be lower. I hopefully will be doing f7 by the time I reach f3 and I'm sure with the lower reps and times it still probably won't take very long. Maybe 20-40 mins or somewhere around there depending on what exersize progressions I'm on. I don't take rests between exercises either because I feel like it will hinder me later on. THis is strength training for us but it he final progressions are meant to be a warm up where we don't need rest so why limit ourselves now for the illusion of faster/better progress? I've been stuck on hbp pe2 for what feels like for ever because I don't rest after spl work and it feels like I'm not progressing but I know once I hit f2 spl work I will be glad I didn't rest now.... Those ims are intense.