This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Not even close to mastery

Started by JimV, July 10, 2014 · 8 Replies · 340 Views

JimV

This week I started RC3. For the first workout I test for mastery. Mastery is 5 x15. I do 8,8,6 6,5 with form that's "ok"'at best.

I say that's not even close to mastery.

So I start with week 1. The thing is that week 1 is 3 sets of 3. That's well below what I could do. Is that right. I just dial it in for the first microcycle? Get the form perfect and accept that it won't be that hard?

My experience is that if I jump to week 5, I won't be able to keep up with the rep template and I'll have to repeat that microcycle at least once.

Make sense?

Spphysio

Have you mastered PE1 according to the new video (glutes of the ground)?

Jon Douglas

Work sub-max with perfect form for a couple weeks. By the time you get some practice in with the movement, you are on week 5 with some momentum.

You do not need to work to failure all the time. If you want a harder workout for your own mental satisfaction, not for the effectiveness of the training, stack up more sets of three. Go nuts and see how many perfect sets you have in you :) or do your prescription wk1, then see how many perfect sets of 5, 6, 7? you can do. Just tick the box first.

Not to sound condescending but you won't have the luxury of light workouts for long, so enjoy it while you can!. Just view it as a chanceto get a running start on the next cycle. Taking the time to do it right *will* pay off, and you will forget the restlessness more quickly than you will forget frustration at being stuck

JimV

Thanks Jon. I'm settling in to the idea that this will take a while, and that real progress can be subtle. 

Spphysio, I did not go back to RC/PE1. Why do you ask?

howens

Mastery is 5x10 not 5x15

Coach Sommer
howens said:

Mastery is 5x10 not 5x15

I was wondering when someone was going to notice that. ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas

Heh. Silver lining-- you're significantly closer than you thought you were :D

Adriano Augusto

It was the first thing I noticed... I'm in the same element for RC progressions so I know well the scheme.

 

5x10 is the mastery scheme. Good for you then ;)

JimV

Thanks. I'll jump to week 5. I think I can get to a solid, masterful, 5x10 in 2 microcycles.

I was really more interested in the principle than this specific case and Jon answered that for me.