This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Recommended bar length

Started by Iguanus, July 9, 2014 · 11 Replies · 355 Views

Iguanus

Hey there, folks. I started to put on some weight on dislocates (too little mobility before) and don't trust the broom anymore. Therefore, what's the recommended lenght of the bar? I tried a few google searches but can't get good keywords and am Always redirected to bar exercises!

 

For the sake of reference, I've found a few diferente answers:[

2,20m

1,80m

1,60m

 

Would a 1,20m bar be enough or should I try to stick to the bigger ones?

 

Cheers and happy training!

Alan Tseng

Length of bar is however long you need to do elements correctly, then over time (weeks to months), reduce width to a bit over shoulder width

Coach Sommer

I would go with the longer bar. An approx six foot length of bar should accomodate the ROM of all but the stiffest of adult zombies.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

MrPuppeh

Any idea on where can you get a bar ( or a wood stick ) that long ~6 feet. My bar is too short for me to do PE2 Im :(

 

I am zombie !

Murray Truelove

I went to a hardware store, they cut a dowel down for me. If you're using weights for the IM make sure to take them with you so you know they'll fit over the dowel.

Rob Rowland
MrPuppeh said:

Any idea on where can you get a bar ( or a wood stick ) that long ~6 feet. My bar is too short for me to do PE2 Im :(

 

I am zombie !

 

Go to a Lowes or Home Depot, or similar hardware store and ask an employee.  Most of the precut dowels stop short of 4'.  I had to ask.  Be sure to get something thick enough to hold the weight without significant bend, but not too thick or it won't fit your weight plates.

Iguanus

Waiting for the bar to arrive =)

Iguanus

It came! And it came along with a surprise: it weights nearly 9kg (18 lbs). I can't lift all the way through, but I can get it up to 60-70 degrees.

 

So I'm puzzled as to what would be the better way to follow up:

a) use broom with weights (try to work up to 7, 8 kg) until I can reach 90 degrees and then return to bar only.

b) Use bar only for partial ROM and build it up until full ROM (not talking about arms width... yet!).

 

What would you do?

 

* As a side note, my traps activate, but my tríceps are really suffering in this partial ROM!

KibboKift

Unfortunately I don't think your new bar is going to be much use to you for a good while. If I've learnt one thing from all these PE1/PE2 threads it is that you should always work at full ROM. Start with 1kg on your broom stick with your hands as wide as they need to be then gradually work them closer together as your mobility improves, until you hit shoulder width. Then it's time to increase the weight and repeat the process.

 

Bear in mind that mastery is only 2.3kg, at which point you can move on to the next PE. You can (and perhaps should) continue to work previous PE's concurrently, building up the weight gradually. But it might take you another year or more before you have need of a 9kg bar.

Iguanus

Thanks, Kibo. I just realized how much difference there's with each kg added! 3kg is fine. 4 is heavy. 5 is a no-no. It will be a while before I use the bar for these exercises!

Jeremy Huston

I am using 1 inch PVC and weight plates with 1 inch holes.  The PVC is plenty strong for the H1 elements since they're pretty light weights.  It has too much sag to be ideal for things like Jefferson Curls.

 

PVC is super cheap and cuts real easy.  I would recommend a 10 foot section and cut it into 2 pieces -- 6 feet and 4 feet long.  Then you can set the 6 foot section up for dislocates and have a shorter section with a different weight for HS/PE5.

 

Since OP listed everything metric, not sure how useful this information is in his/her location.

Iguanus

It makes sense, Tex. Thanks for the input. And Royal Metrics are nothing a google conversion can't handle =)