This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Solidifying strength while working mobility

Started by JimV, July 9, 2014 · 9 Replies · 364 Views

JimV

After 12 weeks:

For Scapular Shrugs, I can hit the mastery numbers, but I'm nowhere on Swivel Hips

For Tuckups, I can hit the mastery numbers, but I'm nowhere on windmills

For Cossack Squats, I can hit the mastery numbers (ROM is better on the later sets) but I can't do any twisties.

 

Obviously, without the mobility, I don't move on.

 

So, based on all that I've read here over the last few months, and reviewing the intro material, and especially after the Rob Wolfe podcast, I'm going to repeat the entire last micro cycle until the mobility catches up. I think an extra pass or two through the microcycle will help me consolidate strength gains better than repeating week 11 over and over. Based on the Webinarm I'm also going to add some mobility during the week.

 

Any objections to this plan?

 

Thanks,

-Jim

Jon Douglas

Nope. That's the way to do it.

ausswe

Would it be beneficial at all if say you think it will take 2-3 more months to increase mobility to do one mini cycle extra of weeks 9-12 and then another with slightly higher reps/ hold times than master for the next mini cycle ? So mastery mini cycle x2 then slightly higher reps mini cycle x1-2 depending on mobility?

Adriano Augusto

Ausswe, why would you want to increase the reps/hold times? The PE part is not a problem at all for what I read, so... I mean, it would be OK, but the work have to be done in mobility. Increasing reps/hold times may affect the next elements in that session.

JimV

I was re-reading the course intro and it really stresses mastery vs just being able to squeeze out the requisite reps. (Always with good form and tempo). Then there was the talk of SSC on the Robb Wolf podcast to convince me that it's ok to perfect those PEs while working the mobility.

If they get too easy, I'll bump up the reps.

Jon Douglas
ausswe said:

Would it be beneficial at all if say you think it will take 2-3 more months to increase mobility to do one mini cycle extra of weeks 9-12 and then another with slightly higher reps/ hold times than master for the next mini cycle ? So mastery mini cycle x2 then slightly higher reps mini cycle x1-2 depending on mobility?

I don't really see a reason why not, apart from potentially takin the attention off the mobility drill. Being very comfortable with the pe would help you direct your energy where its needed.

For myself I'd probably add more sets at the same rep count. That means more mobility sets and everyone loves that, right?

Jon Douglas
ausswe said:

Would it be beneficial at all if say you think it will take 2-3 more months to increase mobility to do one mini cycle extra of weeks 9-12 and then another with slightly higher reps/ hold times than master for the next mini cycle ? So mastery mini cycle x2 then slightly higher reps mini cycle x1-2 depending on mobility?

I don't really see a reason why not, apart from potentially takin the attention off the mobility drill. Being very comfortable with the pe would help you direct your energy where its needed.

For myself I'd probably add more sets at the same rep count. That means more mobility sets and everyone loves that, right?

ausswe

If your rom is the problem then increasing the pe difficulty wouldn't hinder your mobility but it may give you a slight boost on the next pe. Also I'd repeat a mastery cycle after I completed mastery to really solidly my mastery before increasing assuming my mobility hadn't caught up by that point. For example in h1 pe 5 my mobility has been keeping me back for months after I obtained mastery with what the higher weight recommendation was so now while my mobility increases I am increasing the weight on the pe, which has had a huge positive impact on my handstand ability.

JimV

Seems like a good take on it. At least for this cycle, I'm going to repeat the last microcycle and really focus on perfecting the moves. I think there's a lot to be gained (for me) in solidifying performance at the mastery numbers. If I think I'm stagnating, then it seems like adding load is a great idea.

 

Thanks for your help

federicoC

Perhaps you will realize that repeating mastery cycle over and over will improve your form on PE, and as a consequence make mastery more demanding. This happened to me on a couple of PEs.