This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

quick progress - is this normal?

Started by katlinchen, July 7, 2014 · 9 Replies · 310 Views

katlinchen

I have been working on Foundation for exactly 4 weeks now.

Although I have always been able to do at least 2-3 pull-ups and leg lifts, I never trained for them seriously or regularly.

But since I am doing the workout, my progress is sooo quick and I was wondering why that is.

For example, 4 weeks ago I started with the half windshield wipers, because I could do all the other stuff already. Now I am able to do 5x3 full windshield wipers and it seems I can do a whole rep more per workout!
Pretty much the same with the leg lifts. It goes so quickly!

Is this really strength increase or just muscle memory?

For example, when I tried the inverted hang 1 week ago, I could barely hold a piked one and sometimes I fell off immediately, I just didn't know which muscles to use!
2 days later I could do 5 sets of inverted hang, but it was still a little piked. Today I tried again and it is totally straight and I never fell off the bar during the 5 sets.

With the push ups and pull-ups it's a little harder though.

Is this fast progress normal? I know that as a beginner progress is usually pretty fast, but this is overwhelming for me!

I am sure progress will slow down as I get stronger, I was just wondering to what point my progress is strength and to what point it is just knowledge which muscles to use.

I am looking forward to getting your opinion about this :)


 

Murray Truelove

Not sure if it's normal but I'm jealous. I've heard others say once they got past F1 things really picked up.

Ravn

Perhaps it's due to you having good flexibility? That's what's holding a lot of us back, especially with the leg lifts and wipers. Congratulations!

LateStarter@46

Nice one!

If you've experienced the exercises before when younger (have you done gymnastics previously?) I would say a good part of it would be down to muscle memory.

Personally, things haven't picked up for me past F1 as each new exercise really is new and it's all about learning from scratch how to perform them.

katlinchen
Ravn said:

Perhaps it's due to you having good flexibility? That's what's holding a lot of us back, especially with the leg lifts and wipers. Congratulations!

Yes, flexibility is definitely something that won't hold me back in any terms. Have all splits+pancake stretch hyperextended and very good shoulder flexibility as well.

I really really like Foundation work. I am sure that after F2 (especially with the pushing and pulling exercises) I will have a very hard time progressing but for now it is really motivating to have such a good progress and I just wanted to ask you guys how your progress was at this stage :)

Thanks for your reply!

katlinchen
LateStarter@46 said:

Nice one!

If you've experienced the exercises before when younger (have you done gymnastics previously?) I would say a good part of it would be down to muscle memory.

Personally, things haven't picked up for me past F1 as each new exercise really is new and it's all about learning from scratch how to perform them.

Nope, I have never ever done gymnastics before. I did ballet+dance for quite a while and cheered a little, but no other strength work than some crunches and elbow-flare-out push-ups.

I enrolled in a gymnastics class 10 months ago just 2 times a week for an hour. Learned my standing staddle press handstand in 4 months and my kip in 3 weeks and could do a standing back tuck in 3 weeks after doing the first one in trampoline as well. I think I just chose the right sport for me! :)

Jon Douglas

Normal with improving activation and good mobility. You'll find your actual working level as you go, but enjoy the particularly fast ride now :)

katlinchen
Jon Douglas said:

Normal with improving activation and good mobility. You'll find your actual working level as you go, but enjoy the particularly fast ride now :)

Thanks for your answer! Do you think I could do the workout more often than every second day?

I don't really feel exhausted, although I am in the gym (just tumbling around and little bit of bar work) every day for about 2 hours. But I also don't want to slow down progress because of not getting enough rest for my muscles!

Eric Baum
katlinchen said:

Thanks for your answer! Do you think I could do the workout more often than every second day?

I don't really feel exhausted, although I am in the gym (just tumbling around and little bit of bar work) every day for about 2 hours. But I also don't want to slow down progress because of not getting enough rest for my muscles!

Just test yourself if you feel you have energy left, increase it a bit and see how it goes. If it doesn't go well you just go back.

Jon Douglas

I have had several times the experience of feeling great, like i could do loads more, increasing slightly and losing all that momentum and rhythm in a week or two. Best IME to increase quite gradually, especially since your technical training involves a fair bit of conditioning. Give it at least a four week micro cycle, keep notes so you have facts to compare, and see whether you are still raring to go each time with the higher volume.

Personally i have settled on two heavy, two medium and two light a week, and it suits me very well and leaves me plenty.of energy for my other physical pursuits. I suspect your endurance is through the roof, given your training background, and would prioritize lower rep/higher intensity training if i were you-- work your foundation very hard, aggressively try to improve (of course be smart about it :) ) and then leave it alone while you work on your skills.

I hope my thoughts help, but adjust them for you :)