This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Remedial Mobility Work

Started by NICKNICK, July 7, 2014 · 3 Replies · 259 Views

NICKNICK

I think I need some remedial mobility work below the level of Foundation One.  My primary concern is shoulder and thoracic mobility.

 

I found a couple posts on wall extensions and dislocates.  With wall extensions there is no point at which my back, shoulders, elbows and wrists can touch the wall.  My wrists angle outward even in the starting position.  I've been working on it for a couple of weeks, and I don't feel any changes in my back.  My shoulders feel as if the muscle is being used, but that's about it.

 

If I bend down to touch my toes, I can feel the stretch in my hamstrings--I can't feel anything like that in my upper back or shoulders.

 

What else should I do?

 

Thanks!

Murray Truelove

H1 has incredible shoulder mobility drills. Dislocates can be rough if you don't have enough flexibility. Try them and see, just make sure there's no pain or discomfort.

You can try foam rolling for your thoracic mobility.

KibboKift

+1 for H1 !

 

Also, the lat mobility work from the RC progressions is good for tight shoulders and I can't see why you couldn't do it more often or use later iM's if it helps you.

 

Regarding wall extensions - if, as you say, you can't even get into the starting position - I would suggest that your time would be better spent on the floor. Hold a weight plate/sandbag/bottle of water in each hand and perform the same movement. Make sure your lower back is always in contact with the floor. The weights assist your external rotators, which are likely too weak to overcome your tight internal rotators and thoracic spine. You can reduce the weight to zero over time before eventually tackling wall extensions.

 

I always feel a strong stretch in my thoracic spine when doing these and the external rotators are worked in the correct range of motion at an intensity they can handle. I also like exploring my ROM and different stretch sensations with similar movements, eg with straight arms or holding a bar behind my head.

 

Finally, it feels good to curl up your spine immediately afterwards to relieve any residual tension.

NICKNICK

KibboKift--

 

I like the idea of using weights on the floor.  It makes sense as a way to test the real ROM of my shoulders rather than my shoulder muscles' ability to push against whatever the limit is in my body.  I'll give it a try and start light.  Thanks!