This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Performing RC exercises using gymnastic rings hanging on Power Tower

Started by Kar Loong, July 7, 2014 · 5 Replies · 259 Views

Kar Loong

Hi, I have started F1 last week. As expected, all exercises are tough with the exception of HBP PE1 which I get passed on first attempt.

 

Currently, I have to travel to a playground where I can hang my rings on the pull up bar to perform RC exercise. I'm now consider to buy a power tower to allow my rings to hang on it. While I believe doing ring dips and rings pull up will not be a problem, does anyone has idea whether is it also possible to do RC exercises such as hinge row, inverted row, ground row.... on ring hanging on power tower?

 

 

 

 

 

post-14287-0-68995100-1404700431_thumb.j

spacepilot

I hang my rings on my power tower. I have the type that has the dip bars on the opposite side of the pull-up bar. It's quite heavy and I used to hang 20-30 lb of plates on the dip bars for counter balance. There's no stability issue for me to do ring rows, and I never worried that it would fall down, even when I was doing some inclined rows where I'd pull slightly sideways. I'm 130lbs. But if you weigh the opposite side down I don't see an issue with the RC exercises even if you are heavier. I just started F1 working on hinge rows now. I don't have the plates on the dip bars, but the set up feels very stable. This tower does take a little bit more room than the one in your post, but it's the weight and footprint that make it the more stable option.

 

 

0004361950969_500X500.jpg

 

ring-row-exercise.jpeg

StrongZombie

If you go the power tower route, you can weight the feet down with sandbags. If need be.

Kar Loong

Thanks for the input, guys. Good ideas.

 

Actually, I'm consider between Power Tower with the dip handle facing the opposite of the pull up bar handle (the one mentioned by spacepilot) and the other Power Tower with both pull up and dip handle located on same side. Any idea which one is better?

 

I myself believe the one with opposite handle will allow better range of motion since my movement will not be restricted by the knee raise handle. I also believe this design is more stable.

 

I'm also wonder whether is it possible to do more advanced ring skills in future such like skin the cat, ring back lever, front lever on the power tower since there is a back cushion (for the leg raise) which likely to block the movement. Even the back cushion is removed, there is still a bar in middle the Power Tower.

 

 

 

 

 

 

spacepilot

I have the exact one posted my previous post (bought from Walmart). If space is not a concern, I think it's the better one out of the two due to added weight and stability. I never used the other kind of tower, but I  remember when I was doing the research before the purchase, I did read reviews about the knee raise bars getting in the way on the other kind.

 

I've only done ring support, dips and various kind of rows on the power tower. There's no room for any flipping of the body, due to the middle support bar as you observed. I was thinking about adding ring mounts in my garage to try some of the movements you mentioned, before I got Foundation One. After looking at the program and listened to Coach Sommer on some podcasts, I decided to hold off trying ring stuff except the exercised in Foundation, until I at least meet the Rings One prerequisite (Foundation Two). I expect the rings  on power tower should serve me well at least through Foundation One. Seeing how much mobility I lack from the first couple weeks' exercise, that may take a while, lol.

StrongZombie

You could go to a local steel shop and pay them to cut the middle out, add gussets, etc. Describe what you want and they could fab it for you. In the US, a welder runs about $60/hr(as i recall) + materials(ask f you could raid the scrap bin). That would be a simple mod for 30-60 minutes worth of time.