This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE2 - Rom check

Started by Michael Taylor, July 6, 2014 · 5 Replies · 150 Views

Michael Taylor

Would anyone be good enough to pass observation on whether my Rom would be sufficient for mastery of this element?

I have just completed the week 11 totals with this form

I have also shown my passive pancake flexibility to show how it translates (I realise that I need to straighten and lengthen the spine here, but it felt good to get my forehead to the ground for the first time!)

Many thanks

Mike

post-4863-0-17406600-1404661650_thumb.jp

post-4863-0-34464700-1404661667_thumb.jp

Alessandro Mainente

Now it's fine, btw to say my pov, MN PE2 could be developed without to much attention on additional passive flexibility. the reason is that there is no passive flexibility that substitutes active flexibility as MN PE2 is.

I've got this idea some months ago and i confirmed it at my last GB seminar. there were some flexible guys for hamstring and adductors , but some of them cannot perform the L-sit on the floor. I'm flexible ( a lot) on the posterior part of the legs, but not as some of them but i can easily hold the L-sit for more then 1 minute on the floor. for this reason it's fine to find something to increase proficiency with an element. but i prefer reach it little by little with active strength rather then focus to much with passive stretch.

And I made one more step on the "understanding the foundations" journey.

Michael Taylor

Thanks Alex

I agree that passive flexibility doesn't necessarily correlate to improvements in active flexibility, but I have found for me that it did seem to.

This may be due to the fact that I am working both together (I stretch pancake immediately prior to MN /PE2),

Alessandro Mainente

Yes i understand, by the way ideally to check your mastery you need to be able to perform it without specific warm up for certain muscles. passive flex of course decreases the strength you need to counter balance the passive tension.

Alan Tseng

Agreed with that, don't stretch before an exercise, do it after

Michael Taylor

I understand and agree with your observations.

The reason I do it before is one of expediency - the truth of the matter is that if I didn't integrate it into my foundation sessions, I probably wouldn't do it at all.

I only use short duration holds and some mild contract-relax, such that it has more similarities to the mobility work throughout Foundation than dedicated static stretching.

Has worked very well for me and is very quick