This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Have You Had a Wrist Injury in the Past? How Did You Handle it with F1?

Started by Nash, July 2, 2014 · 9 Replies · 221 Views

Nash

Hi All,

 

I hurt my right wrist during HS work last week. It hurts when I bend it forward at about 60 degrees onward. During the day I get some sensation of very minor numbness and heat.

 

For the next 2 weeks, I'm wearing a wrist brace, I'm stopping all HS related work and I'm modifying some elements in my F1 until I'm fully recovered:

 

  1. Instead of sPL/PE5 (Planch Leans) I'm going to do an elevated sPL/PE2 (Forearm Plank). I improvised on this one, do you think it's a good alternative?
  2. I'm not sure what to replace HBP/PE2 (Pushups) with.
  3. I'm not sure what to replace RC/PE3 (Ground Rows) with.

As for the rest, they don't involve any wrists, so I'm good there.

 

Any ideas about 1, 2 and 3 above so I can maintain strength in the next 2 weeks?

 

Thank you!

 

 

-Nash

meras
I'm sorry to hear that Nash.

 

For pushups, would it be possible for you to do them on your knuckles?

 

Just be sure not to do anything that irritates your wrists, although I'm sure you know this. Do you have an idea what exactly caused this?

Nash

Thanks Meras.

 

> For pushups, would it be possible for you to do them on your knuckles?

 

Nope.

 

> Do you have an idea what exactly caused this?

 

I think it was fingertip pushups. Moved from SE2 to SE3 that day and the jump felt way too big. Then did some HS sessions after that which made things worse.

 

 

-Nash

bigB

I've jammed my wrist a few times. I was able to work out on parallettes with no pain.

As far as the rows, I've had luck with using straps on the back on my hands in extension. It might be worth a try.

 

It wasn't clear if you had pain in flexion or extension.

 

However, If you have numbness, I'd let it rest. There is no much room in your hands for inflammation to go and blood flow is relatively poor. Maybe try the novelty wrist routine in lots of different angles to increase blood flow.

 

Going for a run and working the rest of the body would also increase blood flow potentially speeding healing.

TANSTAAFL

Yeah, some things there won't be subs for. Try anything and everything, but if it bothers it at all it's a no go. You're not gonna loose any strength in 2 weeks and if you do it could probably be measured in milligrams.

 

This is when all the patience you've built up from Foundation really comes into play. Be incredibly grateful if 2 weeks off is all you need for full recovery.

Destiny

I recently hurt my wrist and its only now starting to feel good enough to put weight on albeit a feeling of weakness and minor pain. Are there any exercises aside from H1's that anyone can recommend as both rehab and future prehab? I hurt it at work lifting so a strength I am looking for in particular is in the supinated position holding weight. Wrist curls I guess?

Nash
bigB said:

 

It wasn't clear if you had pain in flexion or extension.

 

It's mostly in flexion. When it comes close to 80 degrees it starts to hurt at about a 5 over 10 pain level, then after that goes to 3 over 10.

 

Thanks for the advice.

TANSTAAFL

Here and Here. Coach and Slizzardman(aka Naterman) give some pretty good stuff. I would quote it here but it really is too long and in depth...plus, seriously, go read it now.

Mark Collins

Take the two weeks off and what little strength you lose will come back quickly.

Alan Tseng

I had FCU from injuring my wrist while rowing.  I dropped everything weight bearing on my wrists for 3 weeks, so practically majority of the exercises in Foundation.  I also re-started the entire wrist series in H1 from the very beginning.  (Week 1, PE1).  It took me another 6 weeks to finally start back sPL and HBP progressions, and even when I started, I started on deload volumes.