This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

IMs for bench press?

Started by The Hansenator, July 2, 2014 · 9 Replies · 328 Views

The Hansenator

I have a friend with an extensive bench press history. He's pretty strong but he also has the mobility issues you'd expect. Is there a mobility drill that's expecially good for bench pressers?

 

I suspect that anything involving the shoulder will help but he's more likely to do something consistantly if I can tell him "Do this one thing, it's good for you".

 

Thanks.

Keegan

I would probably say weighted shoulder dislocates, weighted reverse grip dislocates, and wall extensions. But I think balancing out the anterior shoulder girdle strength with the RC progressions would also really help. Is your friend currently doing Foundation workouts?

The Hansenator

I showed him weighted dislocates and he seemed to really struggle with it. I've talked to him before about doing more rowing and maybe working pullups. I kind of scratch my head when you have people doing 2xbodyweight benchpresses but they can't do a pullup.

Mats Trane
The Hansenator said:

I showed him weighted dislocates and he seemed to really struggle with it. I've talked to him before about doing more rowing and maybe working pullups. I kind of scratch my head when you have people doing 2xbodyweight benchpresses but they can't do a pullup.

Weighted dislocates would be good. Tell him to go realy wide if he struggles.it doesn't matter if you go so wide that the stick almost hit the head. Over time with consistant work they will do wonders!

Liste to this newly released Pod cast with Coach and Rob Wolf, Rob started doing them with very goo results.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/16793-coach-sommer-on-rob-wolf-round-2/

MrPuppeh

I think i need to get a longer stick/bar

Alan Tseng

I think it's better to start off with xiaopengs before dislocates

The Hansenator

I showed him xiaopengs and he either had trouble "getting" it or just wasn't really able to do it. I suggested he do slow one arm arm circles for now. We'll see if he actually does and if it helps.

trw

Don't forget German arm swings.

Kage

External rotation (with a dumbbell) is classic. Eric Cressey wrote something about this back sometime, I wonder if not Charles Poliquin had a ratio for how much weight you should be able to do an ext rot with per kg you could bench.

I think the technique was to sit on a bench, then put one foot up in a 90 degree angle, foot on the bench and the hip externally rotated and abducted. Then put the elbow on the thigh just before the bent knee - elbow at 90 degrees grasping a db and moving from just below parallell to the floor up to perpendicular with the floor. Also, wall slide and internal rotation (similar movement as the ext rot), lying supine on the floor with the arm abducted 90 degrees. No weight, and only very gentle pressure trying to bring the palm to the floor. Kelly Starrett style.

The Hansenator

Thanks for all suggestions.

My friend hasn't been working-out much lately but he's really tight. I don't think he would invest too much time into it but I did want to show him like one simple thing that could help.