This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pain from symphisis pubis dysfunction and training

Started by Erin, July 1, 2014 · 0 Replies · 76 Views

Erin

Hi,

After a recent groin/hip flexor strain, my physical therapist told me she believes that I have symphisis pubis dysfunction. It is an instability in the pelvis caused usually by the stretching of the ligaments during pregnancy or (as in my case) from over-use in sports that involve lots of kicking and dynamic movement (I do martial arts).  The symptoms are pain in the groin region and pain when pressing on the pubic bone. Certain movements can also cause pain. Sometimes FL PE1 and MN PE1 cause me pain, and movements like rolling over in bed or swinging my legs up into bed can also be painful.

  I've used up my PT time now and have gone back to F1/H1 but every now and then the pain from the SPD still bothers me. I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who had experienced this type of injury/disorder and had any advice on what to do for it. I would really like to know if it's something that may eventually go away; whenever I try looking it up I always find info saying it will go away after delivery, but I can't find any info on how long it lasts if it's injury-related and not caused by pregnancy.

 Any advice would be appreciated. I'm hoping that strengthening from F1 will help resolve this issue, but I'm also worried that having SPD may hinder my ability to train or make me more prone to hip injuries.

  Thanks, guys!