This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Joints popping/snapping

Started by obc, June 30, 2014 · 4 Replies · 153 Views

obc

I sometimes hear my joints popping and snapping in certain exercise. E.g. in Stiff Leg Windmill and Xiaopeng Forward (the noise is coming from the shoulder). 

 

There is no pain - just these audio effects.

 

Is this normal? Can I continue with the exercises?

 

Thanks!

JimV

I get the same thing in one direction on Windmills. The sound comes the lower part of my spine. Since I'm a big user of my spine, I backed way off.

 

I'm also getting popping when I'm not doing exercises. The most obvious is in my finger joints. Just opening and closing my hands in the middle of the day now makes a lot of popping sounds. I think these relate to the wrist stretches in H1 especially the first knuckle pushups.

Ravn

Popping joints may in some instances be due to flexion stretching the joint capsule, whereby the pressure inside drops. If it drops low enough, the synovial fluid inside turns to gas, and air bubbles form. That's that small explosion you're hearing. As far as I know, this is harmless.

 

The sound may also be from grinding, or from slipping tendons, in which case it is probably less benign...

Duff

If you get no pain, it's probably OK to continue with exercises. I always get these sounds when I squat ATG and I never had any knee issues.

dritar

If there's no pain and no funny feeling it's probably ok.