Straddle Flexibility for Manna

Started by Sunjata, June 29, 2014 · 6 Replies · 5,072 Views

Sunjata

I'm sure someone in the past has asked this already, but it's my turn now I guess. 

 

I don't have straddle split flexibility yet and I know that Manna exercises and pressed handstand require that but I'm not sure what's the best way to go about achieving that kind of flexibility in terms of what to do, how often etc.

 

Take for example something simple like a straddle sit-up, which I remember not being able to do very well in my youth. Still can't, how do I develop that? I was stubborn back then.

Sunjata

But does it cover stretching? I know it covers conditioning, but that's not the same as stretching. What if there are exercises that you can't do solely based off your lack of flexibility? 

ChrisUK

Foundation does not cover stretching, it covers mobility and strength.

There is a dedicated stretch series coming out at some point in the hopefully near future, called Stretch 1, which will take you through developing necessary flexibility for Gymnastic Strength Training™. (of which straddle flexibility can be inferred to be a part of)

In the mean time a good stretching resource is Thomaz Kurz, and don't forget to check out old threads on the GB forum, as most things have been covered by now by Coach and the other knowledgeable members.

Hope that helps,

Chris.

RyanC

The flexibility that you are going to need comes from steady work towards your goal. If you aren't including flexibility work in your daily workouts then you are just spinning your wheels. Just use this template. Warm up, active stretch, workout and do active flexibility work, cooldown and passive stretch.  I've had my athletes doing this for a few months now and they have come leaps and bounds in their flexibility. The biggest thing tho is to work on it everyday. There are no days off. You bend down and you do it straight legged. You sit down you sit on the floor in a straddle. You taking a shower? Stretch out those hamstrings. I'm sitting on the floor right now typing this to you. If you need more specifics just let me know.

 

I also train powerlifting just for the heck of it. I realized very quickly that whatever gains i was making on the GB side i was losing on heavy squat days. So i have to really stay on top of my flexibility.

 

 

Sunjata said:

But does it cover stretching? I know it covers conditioning, but that's not the same as stretching. What if there are exercises that you can't do solely based off your lack of flexibility? 

Mats Trane
Sunjata said:

I'm sure someone in the past has asked this already, but it's my turn now I guess. 

 

I don't have straddle split flexibility yet and I know that Manna exercises and pressed handstand require that but I'm not sure what's the best way to go about achieving that kind of flexibility in terms of what to do, how often etc.

 

Take for example something simple like a straddle sit-up, which I remember not being able to do very well in my youth. Still can't, how do I develop that? I was stubborn back then.

To be more specific, for straddle stretch get HS2 there is everything you need for a pancake.

There are 13 different exercises for that in there.

Also, in F3-F4 some very good hip mobility exercises in the straddle Planchette section

Murray Truelove

Dynamic stretching every day (front, side and back swing kicks), something like 3x10 in each direction followed by gentle stretching (1 minute each position, try to stretch everything) should take about 30 minutes all together.

Once or twice a week do an intense stretch session (Google PNF or isometric stretching) this should leave you feeling sore.

I've been doing this for a couple of months with great results.