So I'm wondering how I should count reps in exercises with changing direction/arm/leg. Example: I'm doing SLS/PE2 which is cossack squat. Does 10 reps (=mastery) mean 10 per leg or 5 per leg? Thanks.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Counting reps in F1 (short question)
Started by Villesan, June 28, 2014 · 7 Replies · 361 Views
As a general rule, 10 total and 5 each side
Guess I've been doing it wrong, five each side does seem a little easy though?
Don't forget you'll need 10 good twisting squats between sets, too. I found mastery of 5 on each side with 10 twisting squads in between sets was a pretty decent workout and good preparation for PE3. If you're worried about it being too easy, don't rush it; make sure each rep is slow, controlled, and deep so you're getting the most out of each one.
So I just noticed that in block 2 & 3 the deload week has an odd number of reps, 3 reps for block 2 and 5 reps for block 3.
If counting left and right as separate reps then you would be doing an extra rep on one leg.
So maybe it is both legs as one rep, so for mastery 10 per leg.
Thanks for the input, although the arguments support both options equally. I'd like to know how exactly Coach Sommer meant it?
I checked SLS/PE2 and SLS/PE3 descriptions. Notice the difference:
SLS/ PE2: "To move to the next progression, you must be able to perform 5 sets of 10r along with the coupled mobility."
SLS/ PE3: "To move to the next progression, you must be able to perform 5 sets of 10r per side along with the coupled mobility."
If this is not a mistake and the phrasing is intentional, I would draw the conclusion that PE2 mastery is 5 reps per leg. PE3 wants you to hit 10 reps per leg, as it's specified in the description of the workout. Hell, I'm not really sure though...
Based on the odd rep numbers and that SLS/PE3 is per side I'm going to continue doing PE2 per side. I'd rather have it harder anyway.
Coach Sommer
04 Feb 2013
- On those particular elements each leg worked counts as a single rep. Thus for Cossack Squats a set of 10r would be comprised of 5r performed for each leg.
- Note that it is not only the overall number of reps involved, but also that these are single leg variations with higher loads and higher levels of neuromuscular activation than the Deck Squats.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
About 1 min on the search function