This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE6>iM and RC/PE6 = hard combo?

Started by Nino Begovic, June 26, 2014 · 4 Replies · 401 Views

Nino Begovic

I haven't seen anybody have any questions about these iM's. I have subconsciously wondered about the effect of these two exercises meeting so I would like to bring that to the surface.

 

When I do this iM it feels something like I'm about to do a Front Lever. The description says to use the arms to press downward strongly. That to me activates the lats. I think I use pretty much nothing but the lats pressing the arms down, being the only thing lifting the rest of the body back up to a standing position.

 

When I first started Foundation One I cheated the process of RC and went directly to RC/PE6 for around a total of 6 or 7 months, never managing to master this step. I got to a maximum of 4x60s + 1x24s. But I did it on a bar that was moving. Meaning it was not fixed but rotating. And the iM like I said above also uses the very same muscles as the PE does: grip strength and lat pulling strength.

 

I don't know if my lats can pull it off but my grip just stops working and I fall down.

After failing again and again in RC/PE6 I tried to counter the rotating bar (which again and again lead to golfer's elbow) I started doing the PE6 on a set of rings attached to the bar. The rings helped counter the golfer's elbow from reoccuring but to no avail with grip and lat endurance.

 

I think I am pretty strong in my lats.

 

After continuing to fail, I went back to start over from RC/PE1. Today I am back at RC/PE6 but when going through the journey properly I actually found RC/PE1 to be the hardest. But then again, on every rep when I pulled to the top position I ended off the ground in something similar to "behind the neck static wide grip L pullup hold". I say static because I did the reps slowly.

 

So.. Back to the PE6. How is the PE6>iM really to be done properly???

Because I think I'll be able to do a Front Lever soon if I continue using this much strength here...? !#€%"€#

 

And please don't say do as in the video. I've seen that guy do other stuff requiring tons of more strength. I don't see how much effort he is putting in. How much effort are you putting in? Does the iM affect your PE6 execution as well?

 

Thank you!

Niklas03

Are you applying constant lat pressure to the bar during this IM? My interpretation is that you only press down when you come up between reps and the strength needed to do so isn't really that great. You also need to briefly relax the lats to be able to sink into the stretch.

 

So lean back to get a good stretch and pull with the lats to get up (instead of using the legs, hips and back).  Sure, there's a real strength component to some IMs, but this is not one of them.

Nino Begovic
Niklas03 said:

Are you applying constant lat pressure to the bar during this IM? My interpretation is that you only press down when you come up between reps and the strength needed to do so isn't really that great. You also need to briefly relax the lats to be able to sink into the stretch.

 

So lean back to get a good stretch and pull with the lats to get up (instead of using the legs, hips and back).  Sure, there's a real strength component to some IMs, but this is not one of them.

I apply slight lat pressure when going down but nothing really noteworthy. While down I am relaxed in the lats and often try to press with the legs to stretch more. And on the way up... well... I have not been certain how much force to apply here because the description says "press strongly" and I don't really know what that means. I associate the word strongly with "struggling to manage". 

To be honest , now that you say this is not supposed to be a strength component , I just remembered that I have never actually found this iM useful as a stretch so I have tried doing it with straight legs mostly. Try pressing with arms only from that position and you'll understand what I mean. But, that is not exactly the same exercise that we were talking about. I guess I got stuck up on the word "STRONGLY" and not being able to feel the stretch. Perhaps I am mobile already. Perhaps I should already have mastered PE6.

 

I'll keep change my approach to the iM and hopefully be done with RC6 soon =)

Thank you for you input!

Joshua Slocum

It's just saying that you should be using primarily your lats (rather than your legs/back to pull yourself back up to standing).

Kyle West

I think you're overthinking this. It's just mobility, not a strength movement. It's just like the RC/PE 5 iM (overgrip bent lean): you send the hips back and push the head/chest through your shoulders (towards the ground) to stretch the lats, except now you're standing back up using the lats. Your legs are still supporting most of your weight and you shouldn't put so much weight onto your arms that you're trying to do a pseudo assisted front lever pull. That's my take on it. It is mobility after all.