dips vs push ups

Started by MrAl, June 25, 2014 · 11 Replies · 13,904 Views

MrAl

Do dips on p bars work the same muscles as push ups?

I can do 15 dips on pbars and I was wondering if I could completely get rid of push ups in my workouts if I do dips?

I also wondering the same thinh with handstand push ups, but I guess those work the shoulders more?

korija

muscles_used_in_chest_dips.jpg

push_up_muscles.jpg

Also i think push ups work upper back abit

dritar

In dips done in a more "gymnastic" manner one should be more upright rather than leaning forward as in the diagram. In that variation I imagine it's probably less Pectoralis Major and more the other things.

B1214N
dritar said:

In dips done in a more "gymnastic" manner one should be more upright rather than leaning forward as in the diagram. In that variation I imagine it's probably less Pectoralis Major and more the other things.

Actually, leaning forward more decreases leverage and recruits more chests.

korija
dritar said:

In dips done in a more "gymnastic" manner one should be more upright rather than leaning forward as in the diagram. In that variation I imagine it's probably less Pectoralis Major and more the other things.

good point, altought he didn't specify anything

Azarian93

A good alternative would be Swinging Dips...

Or you could do Three to Five Sets of Dips and finish with some Push Ups ;)

Blairbob

Handstand pushups come after dips, pushups come before dips.

It's not that you would get rid of pushups, but perhaps for a cycle you would emphasize dips.

 

There are still some benefits by continuing to keep pushups in your programming such as shoulder health or as a warmup. 

Flavio85

Handstand push-ups done right work more the shoulders - anterior deltoid is the main shoulder flexor. People tend to lean forward as pects will have better leverage (will be worked more) and will take load off the shoulders.

The upper chest (clavicular fibers) is worked mainly in the HSPU as the humerus will get closer to the clavicle compared to dips and regular pushups.

Dips work more the shoulder depressors (holding at the top of the dip), HSPU work more the scapular elevators (while holding the HS), etc.

Christoph

Pushups are simply... too simple :)

ausswe

Pppu is anything but simple for me... Proper ones with you hands at ya hips.

Piatsch

You want to work your prime movers from different anglles in a movement approach.

Can you use full power with extented shoulder (aka dipping, backlever), in midrange (aka push ups, planche), and flexed shoulder (handstand push ups, press handstands)?

There is more to movement then just working muscles.

tennissports

lol, bro, vertical pushing of any type works the same muscles as horizontal pushing, in a different way, same goes for pulling