This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

front lever at F2?

Started by katlinchen, June 24, 2014 · 12 Replies · 484 Views

katlinchen
First of all: I love the Foundation training soooo much, I am obsessed with it! And it's unbelievable that you really malke progress each training session! I am sooo excited!

 

Anyways, there are some question I have regarding the exercises and I hope you can help me :)

 

1) My coach told me, that once you can do 30 secs inverted hang, you should be able to do at least a 2 seconds front lever. Is this true?

 

2) I can nearly do the 60s flexed arm hang. I have never tried pull-ups since I started Foundation, although I could always do at least 4. Is the flexed arm hang improving normal pull-ups? Do they work the same muscles?

 

3) Where in Foundation could I hold a really decent V-Sit? Shins to nose?

 

Thank you!

B1214N

1. There is no correlation between the duration of an inverted hang and the FL.

 

2. Yes, they will improve your pull-ups, but they will improve your chin-ups even more.

 

3. I'm not sure, maybe F3 or F4. You need really good compression for that.

katlinchen
B1214N said:

1. There is no correlation between the duration of an inverted hang and the FL.

 

2. Yes, they will improve your pull-ups, but they will improve your chin-ups even more.

 

3. I'm not sure, maybe F3 or F4. You need really good compression for that.

Thanks for your answer!

Isn't V-Sit a lot triceps? I mean, I can easily put my shins to my nose when I am lying on floor, arms straight behind me. So I can do the V-Sit completely, I just can't hold myself up in this position...^^

B1214N
katlinchen said:

Thanks for your answer!

Isn't V-Sit a lot triceps? I mean, I can easily put my shins to my nose when I am lying on floor, arms straight behind me. So I can do the V-Sit completely, I just can't hold myself up in this position...^^

It depends on the type of V-sit you are doing. One type is like an L-sit, but with the hips pretty much in the same place as an L-sit while legs are heavily compressed which doesn't take much triceps strength. The other type is with the hips pushed forward a lot more which takes much more triceps strength. Either way the manna progressions and IMs in F4 will give you both types of V-sits.

katlinchen
B1214N said:

It depends on the type of V-sit you are doing. One type is like an L-sit, but with the hips pretty much in the same place as an L-sit while legs are heavily compressed which doesn't take much triceps strength. The other type is with the hips pushed forward a lot more which takes much more triceps strength. Either way the manna progressions and IMs in F4 will give you both types of V-sits.

Oh ok, so I guess the one where the hips are not so much pushed forward is more common in womens gymnastics?

which one is harder and which one is considered better?

Alan Tseng
B1214N said:

1. There is no correlation between the duration of an inverted hang and the FL.

 

 

I think there's some correlation, you still need to train the FL progressions but having it will help a lot.  Kind of like planche leans won't get you a straddle planche, but it certainly does help a lot

katlinchen
alan tseng said:

I think there's some correlation, you still need to train the FL progressions but having it will help a lot.  Kind of like planche leans won't get you a straddle planche, but it certainly does help a lot

Thanks!

katlinchen

Ahh and btw, I found some pics for V-Sit.
 

https://www.google.at/search?q=v+sit+gymnastics&espv=2&tbm=isch&imgil=q2_aKNBlsIsQqM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcTXqdtOog8m9IkLXDbdT4VICdtm1XuF5fiW0JjWEBOInO9hk-Y0%253B450%253B675%253BhpZiZsi25M_JiM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.intlgymnast.com%25252Findex.php%25253Foption%2525253Dcom_content%25252526view%2525253Dcategory%25252526id%2525253D80%25252526layout%2525253Dblog%25252526Itemid%2525253D190%25252526limitstart%2525253D60&source=iu&usg=__cSO67DU9plwoXre9w4zy5-bjNFY%3D&sa=X&ei=SvWpU4PfMuii0QWOv4CoBg&ved=0CCAQ9QEwAA&biw=1280&bih=855#facrc=_&imgrc=q2_aKNBlsIsQqM%253A%3BhpZiZsi25M_JiM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.intlgymnast.com%252Fimage%252Fdaily%252Fpovolya_anna.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.intlgymnast.com%252Findex.php%253Foption%253Dcom_content%2526view%253Dcategory%2526id%253D80%2526layout%253Dblog%2526Itemid%253D190%2526limitstart%253D60%3B450%3B675

 

http://www.google.at/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcrossfitequipped.com.au%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F11%2Feddie_baran_v-sit.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcrossfitequipped.com.au%2Fwod-tuesday-13th-nov-2012%2F&h=308&w=211&tbnid=4iOvjhEmAgBfiM%3A&zoom=1&docid=nJVMrNfOp9-hKM&ei=o_OpU-viB8yV0QWQxYGwCA&tbm=isch&ved=0CCUQMygGMAY&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=1009&page=1&start=0&ndsp=26

I think I really see the difference now. Which is considered harder? I guess the second one is definitely harder, especially on the triceps!

I would like to be somewhere in between, hips a little more forward than in the first one. 

B1214N
alan tseng said:

I think there's some correlation, you still need to train the FL progressions but having it will help a lot.  Kind of like planche leans won't get you a straddle planche, but it certainly does help a lot

Not at all. I can see how the inverted hang helps build some grip strength, but the limiting factor in a FL is never the grip. Also it's nice to lower to FL from inverted hang to train or get into FL, but there is no correlation. Of course someone who can FL can do inverted hang, but the reverse is not necessarily true.

 

You are actually wrong about planche leans not being able to get you a straddle planche. In fact, it's possible to get a full planche from just planche leans. All you have to do is keep leaning to build specific strength and you will be able to lift into a planche once you get strong enough. Not the best way to train planche, but it still works.

B1214N

The V-sit with the hips pushed out more is harder because it's closer to manna and takes more strength in the arms and core.

P5yx

I think he's talking about inverted hangs on HB. If so, there's definitely some carry-over to FL.

B1214N
P5yx said:

I think he's talking about inverted hangs on HB. If so, there's definitely some carry-over to FL.

That would depend on the angle of the arms. If they are more open then there is more carryover, but if they are almost completely closed as in the case with the legs touching the bar then there is like no carryover. Once the body gets more horizontal then it is no longer an inverted hang.

P5yx

keep the body in a hollow position, with shoulders protracted and the quads touching the bar. It definitely has carry over to FL.
You're preparing the rear shoulders with this exercise.