This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Too much wrist work from F1+H1?

Started by Nino Begovic, June 24, 2014 · 4 Replies · 294 Views

Nino Begovic

I've been experiencing inflammations in the forearms and different over training injuries recently when applying the wrist exercises from HS One in my workout schedule. I have had to extract them from my workouts completely since I already get alot of forearm and grip training from the Foundation program. This can probably not compensate? 

What degree of lean am I supposed to have with the legs from the ground in the Wrist 'PE/2 workouts'? And in addition to that, what degree up or down does the arm have to face between the shoulder to wall? I don't have enough knowledge here to strive for mastery. One can lean the body lower than 45 degrees and also lean the arms' angle downward as well. I believe this would make the PE/2 workouts waaay harder than any of the last of the SE/4 wrist workouts. Well, this is probably too much to strive for but I am not certain that it is not the goal either. I see many others in the forums that are already on the Specific Elements of the wrist exercises. Are you guys cheating or am I overthinking this (in that case, how?)? At the moment I'm not sure if I will ever pass the wrist preparatory elements while doing Foundation.

Please share your thoughts and insights.

Thank you!

 

Edit: Spellcheck.

Keilani Gutierrez

less is more bud :)

what does your schedule look like? i've changed my schedule around a few times to accomodate the wrist work once or twice(a week) and when i really needed the rest, only doing one week of H1 but doing my stretches (im 1-3 & 2-4) on a F1 day. i currently do 3x a week and 2x a week H1 on T/Th. when i feel like my wrists need a break, i'll do H1 on the sl/mn/sls days .

give this a try and also don't worry too much about getting PE2 right out of the gate, you can just start walking away from the wall (like a transition from pe1 to work upto pe2.)

and no, there is no cheating allowed. momentum won't give you all the benefits that beginning with a heavy pike and slower movements will give you, at least from what i've experienced.

keep on truckin, it IS possible.

-MR
Nino Begovic said:

I've been experiencing inflammations in the forearms and different over training injuries recently when applying the wrist exercises from HS One in my workout schedule. I have had to extract them from my workouts completely since I already get alot of forearm and grip training from the Foundation program. This can probably not compensate? 

What degree of lean am I supposed to have with the legs from the ground in the Wrist 'PE/2 workouts'? And in addition to that, what degree up or down does the arm have to face between the shoulder to wall? I don't have enough knowledge here to strive for mastery. One can lean the body lower than 45 degrees and also lean the arms' angle downward as well. I believe this would make the PE/2 workouts waaay harder than any of the last of the SE/4 wrist workouts. Well, this is probably too much to strive for but I am not certain that it is not the goal either. I see many others in the forums that are already on the Specific Elements of the wrist exercises. Are you guys cheating or am I overthinking this (in that case, how?)? At the moment I'm not sure if I will ever pass the wrist preparatory elements while doing Foundation.

Please share your thoughts and insights.

Thank you!

 

Edit: Spellcheck.

There's a lot in that paragraph, but it mostly seems that you're worried that you're not progressing as quickly as others, and getting injured while trying to do so. How long have you been at this, and what is your training schedule like? 

 

Many of the people on the wrist SEs have been working the wrist series for over a year. Because the wrist is such a high risk area for injury, and because there's no real benefit to trying to progress as quickly as possible (i.e. you don't have to master the wrist series as a prerequisite for anything else), I would recommend following the prescribed progressions without skipping ahead at all. It should therefore take you a minimum of 1 year to complete the wrist PEs. That's what I did, and it was a breeze. In terms of how much lean you should achieve, the general recommendation is to try to emulate the athlete in the video. 

 

Coach has often recommended we "Make haste slowly", which I've interpreted as meaning that while we should approach our training with a sense of urgency, we should nevertheless take our time and let the necessary adaptations take place prior to progressing. This is especially pertinent for tendons, which take longer to adapt to training, and unfortunately take longer to heal once injured. Wrist and finger work is very tendon-heavy, so you should take it especially easy when training those areas. 

Nino Begovic
Keilani Gutierrez said:

 

-MR said:

 

 

Well. I have been doing Foundation for 10 months and HS1 for 7 months now. Mostly I don't think I'm the guy to rush through the exercises. My progress has been pretty slow and steady. I don't even go for mastery on first attempt at a new exercise but try to let the body learn the new exercise from at least block 3 (week 9) in the program. You can see where I at in the program. I am not shy or afraid to jump backwards and prolong the journey. I've tried cheating with RC and SL - which has only taught the same as everybody else trying to rush: "Go back and repeat correctly."

 

My schedule. I try to have at least one rest day between workout days. Sometimes I need two. I can never have two workout days next to each other because of very slow recovery. I do FL, HBP and sPL on one day. RC, SL and SLS on the other. And MN and HS on every workout day, simply because I feel that I can do these without as much recovery as the others.

 

Wrist workouts I recently separated and do only when I feel fully recovered in the forearms. I have a reoccuring problem with golfer's elbow. In my schedule I am at PE1 on WP, and PE2 on FKP, WR, FTP. PE1 feels too easy on the latter. And on PE2 I have not kept track of the distance of my feet from the wall. Most likely very different from day to day. Do you keep track of that? If I understand Keilani correctly then that is the way to proceed with the transition from PE1 to PE2?

 

Also I have had an extra hard time "copying" the athletes in the videos in HS1 because it has been harder for me to spot details in such fine exercises. I found it easier in Foundation with "bigger" exercises.

 

Geez I almost wrote a book there...

 

 

Edit: Added "quotes".

-MR

Hey Nino, you're right, it doesn't sound like you were rushing through the progressions at all.

All I can suggest is to keep at PE1 if it doesn't hurt to do so, and only progress to PE2 when it no longer causes any pain.

Tendinopathies can take a long time to heal so I wouldn't be aggressive with it.

 

You can always hit up Mark Collins on this board. He's a physio who's into GST and gives good advice regarding these issues.

 

Good luck!