Hey, I started to train the gymnastics yesterday. I could all the other exercises exept the deck squats. I can't squat all the way down but that's not a big deal because I'm very near to the ground and I can just throw myself back. But then I can't get back on my feet again. When I have rolled on back, I can't get on my feet. So i'm wondering how to progress in this exercise, thanks.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Deck squats
Started by Zizou Deriye, June 24, 2014 · 1 Replies · 137 Views
I had/have the same issue. My problem has been a lack of ankle mobility. If you have the strength to squat but tip over as you reach the bottom, that's likely an ankle issue.
I've been doing two things. One is using a lacrosse ball (any small hard round object will work, though it's nice to have some give), getting into a kneeling lunge and then rolling my calf. I never thought I had tight calves until I tried this, and wow is it it the best calf MFR technique I've tried. The second thing is just hanging out in the bottom of a squat. I'll raise my heels on a small object and practice going all the way down. Over time I try to make the object I stand on lower and lower. I also put heels flat, grab a wall for support and go all the way down.
In two weeks I've gone from unable to do one to doing two or three . Okay, it doesn't sound like much, but if that progress keeps going then I'm set to master it by the end of the 12week block, so that's not bad!