This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

why are foundation exercises' volume so high?

Started by hype, June 23, 2014 · 8 Replies · 703 Views

hype

So my friend bought the whole foundation course and let me take a look at it.

I found the progressions, mobility, etc. amazing.

 

However, I took a look at some masteries and I was astonished by the required volume of rep/time to master certain exercices!

 

Why are they so high? 

For instance, I am currently training tuck planche. I can hold it for about 30 sec and I can hold an ADV. tuck planche for about 15 sec. To me, these are very good times and I feel very ready to start training the adv tuck as I can already hold the tuck for a good 30 sec... BUT, I'm still very far from the 5x30 of foundation.. I mean this volume is just way to high and isn't it kinda useless? I could just start training adv tuck now and it would make it faster, but still safe wouldn't it?

 

I'm not critizing, I'm just trying to understand the principles behind this course! 

So I'll ask again, why are the masteries volume so high?

jules

I imagine the high volume is as much geared to connective tissue and joint adaptations as it is muscle strength.

Think of it is as a protective measure for the greater intensity you will be placing on the joints later.

Daniel Burnham
jules said:

I imagine the high volume is as much geared to connective tissue and joint adaptations as it is muscle strength.

Think of it is as a protective measure for the greater intensity you will be placing on the joints later.

This and reinforcement of basic motor patterns that will be built upon later.

DBeckerman

I had the same thoughts about the high volume in Foundations. Even though I find it more draining I found out my body seems to really like it!

DB

Murray Truelove

This was asked before - short answer is that Coach doesn't think it is high volume.

I'll see if I can find the thread.

Micawberian

Yes, coach said something like high volume is sets of 75 pushups and ten minutes continuous ag walks. Foundation is however not high volume...we are just weak.

Jon Douglas

I really don't think there's anything unreasonable. You want superior results, you work harder. Nothing in Coachs programming is going to replace the need to train damn hard; the point is knowing that you are putting your effort into proven paths to progress apace.

Skipping through with lower volume is attractive at times, but eye on the prize. If you want to do flashy stuff, do it after your strength work. When you are strong enough yo use flashy moves like pl and manna AS your strength work its because you have exhausted the potential of easier progressions to make you stronger. I cannot emphasise enough the difference between training 'for' a move, as opposed to using the path towards, through and beyond that move to develop your physical ability.

You aren't 'graduating' to the next level by testing for mastery. You're proving that you need something harder to keep it developing. If you want to forge your own path and train harder progression because there are moves that you particularly want to do, feel free. I do-- I put in rope climb laps and hbp specific progressions in particular. They come after strength training, which is much less glamorous, but is where the results are.

Sensei JP
Jon Douglas said:

You aren't 'graduating' to the next level by testing for mastery. You're proving that you need something harder to keep it developing.

Such a good point it deserves repeating.  Actually, this should be emblazoned across the screen whenever you open F1.

Igor Czerniawski
Micawberian said:

Yes, coach said something like high volume is sets of 75 pushups and ten minutes continuous ag walks. Foundation is however not high volume...we are just weak.

Not necessarily, weak. You will always lack strength at something you don't specialise in, you might be strong in a different way.