press to handstand training for strength question

Started by aw0n0, March 2, 2008 · 2 Replies · 3,706 Views

aw0n0

if i am unable to press to handstand for flexibility reasons, would using bent arms to do press handstands be a harmful or helpful exercise? i think its worth noting to mention; i am not a gymnast, i just train like one.

kbryk

Well of course I would say train flexibility; as well when I was in gymnastics(until I had to quit because of school reasons) one of my downfalls was flexibility and that is one of the main downfalls for every person that pursues strength; and it so happens that bent arms is one of the ways to progress into the straight arm pike to press handstand movements, it's better to start off there then throw yourself into a hard movement such as the pike press to handstand.

I would start working on pike flexibility. Flexibility will help you a lot in everything, and it is nice to just warm up then do some stretches it fits in nicely in a workout routine.

aw0n0
kbryk said:
Well of course I would say train flexibility; as well when I was in gymnastics(until I had to quit because of school reasons) one of my downfalls was flexibility and that is one of the main downfalls for every person that pursues strength; and it so happens that bent arms is one of the ways to progress into the straight arm pike to press handstand movements, it's better to start off there then throw yourself into a hard movement such as the pike press to handstand.

I would start working on pike flexibility. Flexibility will help you a lot in everything, and it is nice to just warm up then do some stretches it fits in nicely in a workout routine.

i stretch pike and straddle daily. and have been doing so since summer with rare exceptions and maybe a month or two off. im just a really inflexible person...