This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Nerve stretch question

Started by Primate, June 23, 2014 · 5 Replies · 156 Views

Primate

So I just started Handstand 2, and the Pe1 IM is so horrible that it has rapidly become one of my favourite stretches!  That said, it is very intense and when I perform it it feels like more of a nerve stretch through my whole posterior chain than a muscle stretch (does that make sense?)

 

Anyway, are there different cues to think about or do if a stretch is a nerve stretch rather than a muscle stretch?  Is there even such a distinction? Are isometrics recommended / discouraged? Is it an indication that there is a restriction elsewhere to work on first?  Am I overthinking it? should I back off or not?

Joshua Slocum
Primate said:

should I back off or not?

 

There's a reason why F2 is a prerequisite for the course. HS2/PE2 is a more intense progression of iM elements in the MN progression which you have not yet mastered. 

Primate

Fair answer, I have a long way to go in my MN progressions, But can anyone elaborate more generally regarding the feeling of nerve stretch vs muscle stretch? I mean it doesn't feel bad, just different albeit more intense.  I have enough body awareness by now to differentiate between good and bad pain, and this doesn't feel bad.  I ballet dancer friend of mine used to recommend light ballistic stretching for the "nervy" stretch feeling.  OK, probably worked for her, but I am most certainly NOT going to attempt it with this element, (I know my limitations) and I most certainly don't want to risk injury.  Is that nerve stretch feeling in general a sign to back off? Or was your recommendation specific to the foundation / Handstand course?

Joshua Slocum
Primate said:

Fair answer, I have a long way to go in my MN progressions, But can anyone elaborate more generally regarding the feeling of nerve stretch vs muscle stretch? I mean it doesn't feel bad, just different albeit more intense.  

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question. I don't think I've ever felt a "nerve stretch". Hopefully someone else who's been in a similar boat can chime in. 

Mark Collins

This was discussed in H1 recently in regards to shoulder dislocates. I posted this;

When you stretch a nerve it hits appoint where it feels like it is a tight band that will not give regardless of how long you stretch for. You can feel this if you sit with your legs straight out in front. Grab hold of your toes and pull them back as you bend forward. Then tuck your chin to the chest. At this point you have maximal tension on both sciatic nerves. After about 20 seconds the blood supply to the nerve reduces, which is not a good thing. A lot of people do this stretch for years wondering why they never improve. Nerves like to be mobilised, rather than stretched. They also like it when the structures they slide on or through are mobile. For example trigger points in the buttocks will increase neural tension of the sciatic nerve. Similarly tight scalenes in the neck and latissimus Doris in the shoulder will increase neural tension in the upper limb. It is best to treat these areas with manual therapy, dry needling, nerve mobilisation and correction of poor movement patterns. If you upset the nerves with over stretching or mobilisation they can be sore for days. The symptoms are usually altered sensation, numbness and pins and needles.

Fascia and connective tissue when stretched can often feel similar to nerves, but they do give after 2-4 minutes of stretching. Stretches like the Jefferson curls, pike leans, straddle and dislocates tend to hit the fascia. When stretched aggressively these structures can leave you sore for a couple of days, but you should feel increased range of motion that is more permanent.

Muscles usually give after 20 secs to 2 minutes. They respond well to static and PNF stretching and feel nice when stretched.You normally don't get too sore from stretching muscle unless you are new to exercising.

Unless you have some underlying nerve tension all the mobility exercises in Foundation and Handstand fall into the fascia and muscle stretching categories.

This link explains some more about nerve mobilisations. There are textbooks written on nerve mobilisation and it is a complex subject that even experts are learning more about.

http://orthowellpt.com/nerve-mobilization-techniques/

Primate

Thanks Mark.  That post answers my question well.