This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Loss of leg strength doing F1

Started by Cameron Williams (Suspect 001), June 21, 2014 · 13 Replies · 451 Views

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Hi there,

 

I am wondering if anyone has advice on how not to lose leg strength while doing the SLS progressions?

 

I am starting at PE1 (Deck Squat), as I haven't mastered that move (even though I can do PE4 at WK9 level).

 

I'm concerned that I'm going to lose leg strength (as I'm moving from a weight lifting routine to this program), as I'm going to spend a number of weeks doing exercises that aren't taxing in the way that heavy squats are.

 

Does anyone have suggestions on this?

 

Thanks

 

Cam

Daniel Burnham

Try squatting heavy once a week with low volume.  That way it won't interfere and you can keep the strength.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

I like that idea - thanks very much Daniel.

 

I'll give it a go!

 

Cam

DBeckerman

Starting Foundation actually increased my back squat without lifting a barbell in that time. 5x15 Deck squats with the mobility had a great affect on me. In fact a lot of the early PE/iMs seem to have a massive effect on my strength.

 

Cheers,

 

DB

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

That's great to hear! Thanks DB.

I'm amazed at how hard those deck squats are.... I originally skipped them, because I thought they looked so easy... I was wrong!

Cam

Daniel Burnham
Cameron Williams said:

That's great to hear! Thanks DB.

I'm amazed at how hard those deck squats are.... I originally skipped them, because I thought they looked so easy... I was wrong!

Cam

I would advise that you don't skip any of the exercises. The difficulty can be deceptive.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Thanks Daniel... I will definitely take your advice.

I experienced that with the deck squats... Way harder than they look.

Cam

DBeckerman

No worries Cam. Good luck with them. I am looking forward to SLS SE4 because of Deck Squats.

PeteRu

@DBeckerman to what did it increase from?

I've been worried about the same thing. I currently squat 3-5 reps with 140kg (308 lbs), but I've really struggled with increasing it the last 4 months. Since I'm growing a bit tired of just lifting weights the last year (Starting Strength and Wendler 531) I'm switching to foundation one and handstand one for the next months. I really enjoy training with my own bodyweight and I'm sure you can develop great strength in the upper body. I haven't been so convinced about the lower body (back squats and deadlifts) though.

Anyone have experience switching from SS/531 or powerlifting to gymnastics?

Daniel Burnham
PeteRu said:

@DBeckerman to what did it increase from?

I've been worried about the same thing. I currently squat 3-5 reps with 140kg (308 lbs), but I've really struggled with increasing it the last 4 months. Since I'm growing a bit tired of just lifting weights the last year (Starting Strength and Wendler 531) I'm switching to foundation one and handstand one for the next months. I really enjoy training with my own bodyweight and I'm sure you can develop great strength in the upper body. I haven't been so convinced about the lower body (back squats and deadlifts) though.

Anyone have experience switching from SS/531 or powerlifting to gymnastics?

Yep.

 

I weighed around 155 when I was lifting.  I squatted a little over 315lbs.  Worked out with 285lbs 3x5.  I kept if for a little while but then decided Id rather focus on mobility and movement than squat strength.  I am not sorry about my choice.  I am unable to test my squat right now but know it is a bit lower which makes sense because I was decently high and specialized at the time.  However, my knees hips and ankles all feel better.  I will probably work back up to 2x bodyweight at some point but am in no rush.  Would also like to do that while keeping my splits.

 

My legs are definitely not weak though.  I can do pistols with 45 pounds in my hands which I couldn't do before.  I also am able to jump higher now.

DBeckerman

Hi PeteRu,

I went from 5x5 80kg to 5x5 100kg which felt fairly comfortable. Couldn't tell you what my 1RM is. I weigh in at 95kg so the weight were clearly novice level. My squat technique improved too.

Kage

I'm interested in the relationship between deck rolls and barbell squats.
I can't do really deep squats because of poor lumbar position ("buttwink") as I start going below parallell. And neither can I do proper deck rolls, I always fall back before I manage to stand up.

I have a hope that when I finally nail the rolls, it will be because my hip mobility is better so that I'm able to get my pelvis closer to my feet without compromising my back position. And that this will therefore get me into a better position in the deep squat as well - I suspect it is the same problem in both cases.

If that's so, I think that's why a lot of people will see improved squatting strength after mastering PE1 - better mechanics when going into and coming out of the hole with the barbell. = More strength transferred to the bar.

StrongZombie

I add in pistol squats and direct heavy hamstring work, once a week, mo more that 10 reps per exercise(usually as singles). The added mobility has made the pistols more stable.

Keegan

IME while hip mobility is a limiting factor for many people while squatting, it is usually ankle mobility that causes the majority of form breakdowns while squatting and the aspect that Deck Squats most notably highlight and improve.