This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Speed Skater Squats

Started by Alexander Egebak, June 21, 2014 · 5 Replies · 1,004 Views

Alexander Egebak

Can anybody tell me how to properly execute speed skater squats? Form varies from video to video on youtube.

 

I would like to add it as a stepping stone towards SLS.

 

Does the knee go all the way to the floor on the none-working leg? Do you lift your heel off the ground of the working leg during descend? Would a rep scheme of 8x4 3 times a week seem reasonable?

 

Thank you in advance.

Alan Tseng

The leg work in Foundation would help you achieve your goals

The Hansenator

With a quick search on google I found four different exercises labeled "speed skater squats". In general, you want to keep your heel on the ground. Whether the knee goes all the way to the floor would depend on which version you are doing. If it's the "shrimp squat" version then yes. Unless you need to make it easier by reducing the range-of--motion.

Rayne-William

Since I was a speed skater at one point in my skating history.

 

Working leg: keep your heel on the ground unless you want to make the squat harder by keeping your heel off the ground.

Non-working leg: The knee and top of your foot should touch the ground at the same time.

Mercurium

I'd imagine that the heel lifting off the ground is okay? Otherwise it would just be a shrimp squat, wouldn't it?

jfreaksho
Mercurial Flow said:

I'd imagine that the heel lifting off the ground is okay? Otherwise it would just be a shrimp squat, wouldn't it?

I think that the heel lifting is a symptom of a mobility problem, often in the ankle.  I could be wrong.

 

I don't know much about the second question, but I'm not sure how much it really matters.