I'm interested in what other coaches of boys programs do with regards to training when an athlete is injured. Not sure if this is an appropriate forum; but I read somewhere here that Coach has a policy where his boys are not allowed to train when injured. I think the context was more about joint prep and over-training; or progressing too fast before being ready.
I would love to hear more details about this policy and how it actually works in a gym setting (what constitutes an "injury", do the boys accept it or hide things, do you train other movements, is it more applicable to high performance programs with more motivated athletes?).
I'm even more interested in how coaches deal with silly "injuries" that happen outside of gym. For the first time in my experience I've had a multitude of injuries occur outside the gym that have really effected training and preparation for meets. On one hand many of the incidents can be (and have been) described as "boys being boys" - on the other hand quite a few of the incidents can be attributed to poor choices and "stupid activities" (jumping bikes down stairs, doing gymnastics outdoors: ie busking on the street and doing back flips for money, attempting backflips off swings).
I feel as though I need to introduce some kind of policy. Does there ever come a point where a coach decides to not allow an athlete to train at all -even when it is still possible to train other body areas and skills? Do any of you have policy about not attending a meet if they don't train the week prior (even if the parents resist)?
Your thoughts, experiences and feedback are most welcome!