This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulders clunk on dislocates

Started by The Hansenator, June 20, 2014 · 9 Replies · 374 Views

The Hansenator

Hi everyone,

 

When I'm doing dislocates my shoulders tend to clunk and it kind of hurts. This happens as I'm bringing the bar towards the front, right as it approaches shoulder level.

 

Can anyone explain what causes this and is there a fix for it?

 

Thanks.

Coach Sommer

Your grip is too narrow.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

The Hansenator
Coach Sommer said:

Your grip is too narrow.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks!

 

I'll try tonight with a wider grip.

The Hansenator

Talk about having to take a step back!

 

I tried a wider grip here at work with a broomstick. To avoid shoulder clunks, my grip was so wide I kept hitting my head with the stick.

 

I'm curious though, is the limiting factor in this case related more to strength or mobility?

dritar

Both :). Work on narrowing the grip then increasing weight (but very conservatively as these are small muscles).

Coach Sommer
The Hansenator said:

... is the limiting factor in this case related more to strength or mobility? ...

Both.   ;) 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Keilani Gutierrez

really focusing on "following" the circle being made by the stick/bar im dislocating with my shoulders is what started making this feel like mobility and not snapility :P

especially coming back from extension to flexion. (the latter half of the dislocate)

The Hansenator

Thanks for all the advice!

I'm excited and really want to improve on this one.

sam

"clunks" is a term I used to use. What helped me un"clunk" it was soft tissue work.

But all the help you have gotten is superb. Had I gotten this advice a long time along, I wouldn't have needed the soft tissue work.

 

Good luck

jprimeaux

I'm slowly de-clunking my dislocates. I've been throwing tons of stuff at my shoulders to shore them up, but one thing I noticed fixed the clunking almost immediately was relaxing my back. I hadn't realized that I was in constant extension throughout my back, 24/7. It clicked (pun intended) one day doing the mobility on HS/PE7. I just let my abs sink into the floor, the back relaxed, and my shoulders moved smoothly for the first time in ages. Now I can do the dislocates and actually feel it helping and making things even smoother.

 

What got me there, though, was a combination of Egoscue and Feldenkrais, so that fix is easier said than done maybe. But something to keep a feel for.