6-4 too tall for high bar?

Started by sasquatch, May 26, 2009 · 6 Replies · 2,016 Views

sasquatch

I tried the high bar tonight for the first time ever!

My coach was surprised I learned a kip in one night, he said it usually takes people a few months to learn. :D

Anyway, my feet could easily touch the ground from the highest setting. Is my high bar smaller than most, or do tall people just have to tuck their legs a little when they swing?

matthew.percussion

At 6'1" my feet touch the ground too. There's not a whole lot you can do about it. Normally as long as I do a tap swing(hollow through the bottom of the swing) my feet will not touch, but if I keep a straight body they will...

sasquatch

Hey, Matthew

Yea when I tapped my feet wouldn't touch, but I was getting really tired and let my body strech... I didn't realize how much ab strength it takes to swing on that thing.

How's you're progress going? get any farther with the planche of press handstand?

matthew.percussion

Yea. I got my press just the other day. But I'm having back trouble so I've been out of the gym for a week. Should be going back soon.

sasquatch

Is it a straight arm press handstand? Yesterday the coach at my gym said I should learn a bent arm press to build some muscles and strength, and then learn the straight arm press.

matthew.percussion

Yes. Straight arm.

Blairbob

Some HB setups can be set higher than they normally but typically aren't because they are set to also not be ridiculously high for the younger kids.