This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/SE4 - seeking greater consistency

Started by Philip McCall, June 19, 2014 · 4 Replies · 228 Views

Philip McCall

First time on the forum - regular reader.

 

I have been patiently working on mastery of HS/SE4, kicking up to handstand from a starting position with hands placed on the floor. Most sessions I will eventually land 5 x 10seconds (& longer) but I struggle to improve my consistency of hitting the right balance point.

 

Aside from the general guidance of feeling the weight through my hands at 1" in from wrist (close to palm knuckle), are there other useful tips that might help with my consistency?

 

Love the program and the well designed progressions.

 

Philip

Mats Trane

2 things that helped me:

 

My breathing, I found that keeping my breathing shallow, helped me keep my tight position, therefore I kept better controll of my balance.

 

Finding a focal Point to keep my eyes on.

Micawberian

I find it helpful to put the entire body in alignment before I kick up, except the shoulders. So, ribs in, flat back, ppt, elbows extended, toes pointed all before I initiate the kick up. That way, there is less to think about and the only thing to concentrate on as I come up is to open and shrug the shoulders.

 

And I think a couple of sets of SE3 really help to "warm up" your balance and get in the mood.

Coach Sommer

Begin facing a wall with hands on the floor approx 6-12" out. Now smoothly kick up to handstand; but do not allow yourself to touch the wall. Not even the slightest brush. If you touch the wall, the rep fails. In this instance the purpose of being near the wall is not to assist the handstand, but to force you to be more precise in achieving your balance point.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Philip McCall

To those above - thanks for taking the time to read my request & provide some feedback - much appreciated.

 

Coach - thanks for the additional constructive tip regarding the wall.

I will start doing this straight away, as I can see that this will give me the extra feedback I need to make the adjustment to be more precise - everytime. 

 

Great tip & I hope to report new progress shortly.

 

Philip