Are plastic rings meant to be stuck together?

Started by Fin, June 17, 2014 · 18 Replies · 3,387 Views

Fin

This might sound like an extremely stupid question, but I ended up buying a pair of EFX rings and I was wondering how plastic rings are made.

 

The reason I'm asking is because I can see some glue seeping out, so they're obviously stuck together.

 

I think they're great and very light, but the finish isn't great. Maybe this is because they're so lightweight they don't have extra plastic covering the area where they're normally stuck together.

 

I was just wondering if my pair are faulty or if they're good to go.

 

I don't mind the fact the finish isn't great and I can see where they're joined together, but I just don't want them to fall apart when I'm hanging upside down.

 

Cheers

thecolin

Which way are they glued together? Is it two half  'C' shapes glued together? Or two solid circles glued together? A failure with the former could be quite catastrophic. But if they're two solid circles, then I'd guess it would probably be ok.

Cole Dano

Their rings are moulded in two hollow halves with internal ribs for structural strength. The structure itself is fine.

 

However there have been reports of the glue joint failing so if you see or feel any movement in the ring itself start looking for a replacement pair. As long as you aren't dynamically loading the rings (e.g kipping), they should hold up though.

Coach Sommer

There have been several instances of these types of glued rings failing resulting in some rather serious injuries.  My advice; move on to a better quality set of rings.  You may be lucky and have no issues; but are a few dollars really worth the risk?

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Cole Dano

Trust Coach Sommer on this one, I hadn't heard about any serious injuries, not worth the risk.

Fin
Coach Sommer said:

There have been several instances of those types of glued rings failing resulting in some rather serious injuries.  My advice; move on to a better quality set of rings.  You may be lucky and have no issues; but are a few dollars really worth the risk?

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I'm definitely going to do that in the future.

 

The reason I went for them is because I thought the straps/buckles would be safer than a chep pair, so the thought of the rings themselves failing is worrying.

 

I'll check out your product page to see if your rings are available when I upgrade, or if not I'll just go for Rouge fig rings.

 

Hopefully they last at least 3-6 months because I'm stuck across the other side of the world at the moment and don't have money to splash out on a new pair straight away, especially when you take delivery and customs into account.

 

Thanks for the warning though. I'll take things easy while building basic skills.

Fin
Cole Dano said:

Their rings are moulded in two hollow halves with internal ribs for structural strength. The structure itself is fine.

 

However there have been reports of the glue joint failing so if you see or feel any movement in the ring itself start looking for a replacement pair. As long as you aren't dynamically loading the rings (e.g kipping), they should hold up though.

They definitely won't be a long term solution and I will go for wood next time.

 

The onlly reason I went with plastic is because I will mostly be using them outside, but I'm not a fan of plastic glued together.

Daniel Burnham
Fin said:

They definitely won't be a long term solution and I will go for wood next time.

The onlly reason I went with plastic is because I will mostly be using them outside, but I'm not a fan of plastic glued together.

Not sure where you live but rings can be found in some stores in the US now. I have seen them in dicks sporting foods and in sports authority. Don't know about the quality but you can buy straps cheaply.

korija

inb4 we're all in great danger

Coach Sommer
korija said:

inb4 we're all in great danger

 

In all seriousness, you are.  The failures of those glued rings on two separate occassions that I know of resulted in massive crashes off of the rings when the rings basically snapped in half in the middle of the athletes' training.  Some shoulder surgeries followed shortly thereafter.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

ajoOba

i wouldn't be satisfied with those cheap rings either. however, in most descriptions they say no dynamic movements but only strength training is allowed on those rings you can buy from the internet. so i think as long as you don't do giants or any other swinging movement you should be fine? i would still buy better ones, once you get the time for it.

Blairbob

 Tyler was the first one out really with commercial fitness rings. Unfortunately his rings have been known to fall apart or shatter on impact when falling from a height. Novel idea but...

Joshua Chan

Hello Everyone, 

 

I already have the Xtreme Rings Coach sells, but I´ll be needing more and I can´t seem to find them in the website nor in the gear and products section. Any help here?

 

Thanks

 

-Joshua

Wolf with one Ear

I think GB is focusing more on the programs and what not; I don't think the Xtreme rings are still being sold.  

 

I purchased the Rogue wooden rings last year.  I have been quite happy with them; I would say that they are worth the price, which was not too much.  I definitely prefer the feel of wood to plastic.

Wolf with one Ear
Blairbob said:

 Tyler was the first one out really with commercial fitness rings. Unfortunately his rings have been known to fall apart or shatter on impact when falling from a height. Novel idea but...

Weren't his first generation made of metal?  That was probably not a bad idea.  I had a set of the plastic ones that were hollow but with crossing internal supports.   The rings lasted for a while, couple of years actually, under regular use, but eventually started to come apart.  That is when I bought the Rogue rings.  I have been also curious to try the rings marketed by the serious purveyors of gymnastic equipment, but these, of course, are much more expensive.   

Cole Dano

Rings will be back in stock. We a currently evaluating an improved design. Once we approve it we'll make an official announcement.

Blairbob

 Tyler's first gen might have been and Rogue's were. When I met Tyler in 2005, the ones he brought were plastic. They were pretty cool at time, especially because a set of gymnastics rings usually ran around $200 so the price point was awesome.

 I prefer the wood rings but in FIG size (which are hanging in CrossFitRoseville atm). Obviously the synthetic are nice because you don't have to worry about moisture and once you tape them they are better.

Michael Taylor

I have a set if Tyler's first, second and third generation rings, together with a set of the GB rings (which are by far the best)

The first gen were plastic, second metal (and very thick) and third gen a strange design with the strap actually going through the ring.

I still use them all, some for travelling and some in fixed areas., but will use the GB ones in preference to any other

Wolf with one Ear

I think I had the third generation then.  I'll look forward to the release of the GB/xtreme rings; I may look to have more than one set for a different location.  Per the dentist on American Ninja warrior, I should have stall bars and rings in my office, too.