GST vs Crossfit experience

Started by Mats Trane, June 16, 2014 · 10 Replies · 3,841 Views

Mats Trane

First of all I like to make it clear that I don´t hate Cross fit . They do their thing and we do ours.

 

This weekend I was invited to a strenght competition. This was organized by a local gymnastics club, the strenght test was mostly aimed for kids but the club leader realy wanted grownups to attend. First I kindly said no but after a couple of days she called me again and said ther were a group of Crossfiters coming and then I couldn´t resist. I have never seen Crossfiters live only on Youtube etc.

The strenght test consisted of 12 events. Dips, Chins, Ropeclimb, L-Sit on Rings, Hanging leglifts, Front split, side Split, Bridge, Press to HS etc.

 

I must say that I was SHOCKED to see them execute some of the exercises. It was SO sloppy!

A few examples:

 

Hanging Leg Lifts

some did 20 BUT with bent knees and we are NOT talking slightly bent, they were TOTALLY bent! After they got the knees up, they kicked the last bit to get their toes to the bar.

 

HS (if they could balance) like bananas!

 

Press to handstand

Very bent arms and legs, looked more like a bent arm planch with a very arched back.

 

L-sit on rings

Everything but RTO, bent knees flexed feet.

 

All I can say is that I´m so happy I found this Forum and was taught to do it "TThe right way" from the beginning. These guys came up to me and were impressed with my work as I was 25 years older then them and assumed I had the backround as a gymnast. It felt very good to say that I started with Gymnasticbodies method in 2008.

 

I´m so happy and proud to be apart of this Community. Lots of thanks to Coach, his staff and everyone else on this Community.

 

Mats

 

 

Jon Douglas

Its a bit like that, yeah. I feel like I have to train with the brakes on when I hang with my cf friends, just so as not to show off. The toes to bar thing is the one that genuinely pisses me off; that and the kipping ring dips... we can agree to disagree on the rest!

Well, spreading the good word anyway :D

Murray Truelove

Was watching a crossfit "battle" on YouTube: handstand pushups + dead lift (I think) with pyramid reps. I was genuinely impressed but surprised by the kipping handstand pushups.

Edit: spelling.

Alessandro Mainente

It's quite simple, crossfit is made to make money, if you want money, you need partecipants, if you want people you need to slow down your standards. these are the results.

Mats Trane
Jon Douglas said:

The toes to bar thing is the one that genuinely pisses me off; that and the kipping ring dips... we can agree to disagree on the rest!

Well, spreading the good word anyway :D

The good thing about this strenght test was that there were deductions for bent knees in the hanging leglifts and deductions for bent arms in the Press handstand. I did 11 hanging leglifts with good form and automatically (instinct) stopped when I felt I couldn't do them with proper form same thing with press handstand I did 3 with good form and some of the Crossfit guys did 20 HLL and 5 press HS but I still beat them :). For the chin ups they had put a box in front of the bar so kiping was not possible.Unfortunately no deductions for not RTO on the L-sits on rings. Anyway I'm just super stoked and happy and today I got the results in a print and it was a good sight to see those guys behind me :) and that my shoulder held up lucky for me that dips only had to go 90 degree elbow.

post-90-0-39217300-1402940843_thumb.jpg

Christian

Great job Mats! Definitively deserve to be amongst pojkar :-)

Coach Sommer

Congratulations, Mats.  Very well done.   :icon_cool:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Keilani Gutierrez

good to hear you did so well, Mats ^_^ 

 

#highfive 

Bipocni

I'm assuming number 1 went to an actual gymnast?  Still, very good showing.

Mats Trane
Bipocni said:

I'm assuming number 1 went to an actual gymnast?  Still, very good showing.

Number 1 used to be a gymnast. Now he is in his 40's and has a son that competed in another group

Blairbob

 So what is just the CrossFitters that were sloppy or was it the kids too?