This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Parallel bars for Foundation

Started by thecolin, June 15, 2014 · 7 Replies · 535 Views

thecolin

I'm going to be building parallel bars for myself, but I'm curious what kind of requirements there might be for later parts of the program. Right now I'm considering anchoring two lengths of structural steel tubing between two cement walls. It will be very strong and easy to set up. My one concern is that there might be some Foundation elements that require an 'open' end of the parallel bars for me to hang off of. For this set up I'd anchor one end to the wall and build a structure like standard parallel bars to support the other end. But this second option would be slightly less stable and would mean more bits of equipment taking up space. Can anyone with experience with more advanced elements I'm not familiar with (and will hopefully be working on eventually!) commend on what the preferred set up might be?

tom040287

Your from the UK right?  http://www.toptower.co.uk/builders-trestles-galvanised-trestlesswivel-leg-c-2_47.html. I ordered some of these pretty good, adjustable height, supporting legs are wide enough to give a stable base. Think I found a company that had free shipping so have a lookat different websites if they fit your requirements.

 

Didn't read much of your OP before posting, so doesn't really answer your Q sorry. But eh just an idea.

thecolin
tom040287 said:

Your from the UK right?

 

 

Italy actually. It's something I'm planning on building myself, but I was just wondering how exactly I should proceed with one detail.

tom040287

Ah. really wasn't too helpful then sorry bro!

thecolin

So here's where I ended up with this project. Oddly enough, most of the replies I got for this thread I got via PM. So here are some pics for you guys hiding in the wings. :)

 

Here are the p-bars. and the current state of my garage gym. The structure is about 1.6 meters tall which allows for full ROM, straight body dips. The entire structure breaks down quickly so I can get it out of the way.

post-3734-0-22885500-1407743603_thumb.jp

 

I went with a metal structure with wooden bars, the grip on wood is just so much better. Each wooden bar has a metal cap that slots into the wall support. Then I can bolt it all the way through so there's no rotation of the bars.

post-3734-0-60668300-1407743800_thumb.jp

 

post-3734-0-38867600-1407744076_thumb.jp

At the other end, the bar just slides into the structure. I can vary the position closer to the wall to leave more space for work where I need to hang off the edge of the bars.

 

Everything is unpainted right now so it looks a bit rough, but in terms of functionality it's perfect for my current needs.

Cole Dano

Looks great!

tom040287

Looks awesome. Have to say i'm quite jealous. What you going to charge for monthly membership??

thecolin
tom040287 said:

Looks awesome. Have to say i'm quite jealous. What you going to charge for monthly membership??

 

Anyone who wants to keep me company at 5 am can train for free. ;)