This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE1 - Can't get heels to floor.

Started by Salivanth, June 15, 2014 · 4 Replies · 176 Views

Salivanth

I just bought F1, and I've been testing the movements to see if I can handle them. My main problem is the Deck Squat, aka SLS/PE1. If I'm watching the video correctly, the exercise requires going into the hole of an ass-to-grass squat with heels down for a brief period. The irony is, this deficiency in my squatting is the thing that finally pushed me into buying F1 in the first place. I figured it would get me there slowly, but now I have no idea what to do from here. I can barely even do a regular non-GB squat where the thighs come to parallel without my heels lifting up.

Does anyone have any advice? How can I improve my mobility to get closer to this position?

 

Sensei JP

Starting on a higher surface, like a mat or several rolled up blankets, makes the transition easier, and as this becomes easier you can start on fewer and fewer blankets until voila.

 

For myself, I have major duck feet, and this has lead my legs to track inside my knees, instead of over them.  Having feet close together prevents this inside tracking, but I have almost no strength in this position.  What I'm doing is tying a resistance band around a sturdy object, taking several steps away and then sinking down into that bottom squat position.  The tendency is to fall over, but the band offers enough resistance to keep me up but not enough to take load away from the legs.  I feel my long-dormant muscles on the outside of my legs firing up, and my ankle usually cracks (and feels great!) when I'm done.  I hold for time, when I can balance there I'm probably ready to crush this level.

 

So if flexibility is holding you back, the first option will work, and if it's strength or balance then give the second option a try.

Bryce H

I had issues with ankle mobility, too. The thing that helped was focusing mostly on the Skiers (the mobility exercise for Deck Squats) while holding dumbbells in my hand as a counter weight, doing extra sets, and only counting good reps.

 

After a month or so I could do them without any dumbbells. Getting that ankle mobility down is definitely the key for Deck Squats. At least for me!

Salivanth
Bryce H said:

I had issues with ankle mobility, too. The thing that helped was focusing mostly on the Skiers (the mobility exercise for Deck Squats) while holding dumbbells in my hand as a counter weight, doing extra sets, and only counting good reps.

 

After a month or so I could do them without any dumbbells. Getting that ankle mobility down is definitely the key for Deck Squats. At least for me!

Thanks. My own research seems to indicate ankle mobility is likely the problem. I didn't think of Skiers as an ankle mobility exercise as it looked like more of a hip thing. I'll start doing a ton of those, with dumbbells if required.

sean

Coach also mentioned in the webinar about different cultures that spend a lot of time hanging out in the squat. Meaning spending time just sitting in the squat position you can tolerate with good forum. I'm working on that now while holding a counter weight to help stay on my feet. After I'm able to sit more comfortably in a AGS (ass to grass squat) and deeper with less tension it seems. http://www.youtube.com/user/sanfranciscocrossfit/search?query=squat   this link I found useful for my diff equating issues in the past as well. He's a physiotherapist.  Just my thoughts for what its worth.