Is the expectation that as we move on, we should be able to drop into mastery of previous movements at any given time? If so, is the thought that doing the warmup sets of previous movements will be enough to maintain the endurance, as we work on earlier-week rep ranges on the next skill in the progression?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Maintining Mastery?
Started by mcneuen, June 13, 2014 · 9 Replies · 338 Views
More or less correct. The WU stuff will keep you closer to maintenance level in previous progressions, but more importantly it will make sure you keep the imbalances you've spent time shedding from creeping back.
I believe J. Slocum mentioned elsewhere that you might need to do a quick 9-12 micro to get back to mastery in certain places, but it shouldn't be a big thang.
That's a question that I've been wondering about lately.
For example, I know for a fact that after I master push-ups and start working on the next element, I'll lose push-up mastery in a matter of months.
What to do? Go back to lost-mastery(s) every once in a while and re-master or is this planned for in the design of the course to get us to where we're trying to be?
There's the warm-up scheme where it's 21-15-9. So if you keep pushups as part of warmup and perform 21 reps, then it shouldn't be too bad.
Also, if you can do 5x10 PPP, I'm sure you can do 5x15 of pushups
alan tseng said:There's the warm-up scheme where it's 21-15-9. So if you keep pushups as part of warmup and perform 21 reps, then it shouldn't be too bad.
Also, if you can do 5x10 PPP, I'm sure you can do 5x15 of pushups
Yeah, I was using push-ups as an example. Once you're 10 progressions deep into a movement it would be very hard and time consuming to warm-up with the movements that you're concerned about losing mastery on.
Maybe have a different warm-up for different days.
I'm still not sure what we're supposed to do about this.
I think there might be some over-thinking involved here. Not even looking at what is 10 progressions in, once you're there, regular pushups will be cake. Think about it this way, if you are doing 5 rep sets for HBP at the final progression, 5x15 of pushups will be easy. You are also doing higher rep work in the WU of 21-15-9 as was mentioned. Your WU will eventually pretty much include a few mastery sets of all the early progressions...and Coach willing I will get there.
Coach mentioned this in the original BtGB somewhere about being able to do tons of reps of easier exercises without focusing on them for a long while. I would think that when you are following Foundation, 5x15 of any early progression will not pose endurance or strength issues once your down the road a bit.
I don't think one of the goals of Foundation is to be able to do a mastery set(i.e. 5 sets) of every previous movement you've done. They are stepping stones to get you where the gettings good. Worst case is you have to repeat a 9-12 micro if you really want that mastery set back for whatever reason.
TANSTAAFL said:
I don't think one of the goals of Foundation is to be able to do a mastery set(i.e. 5 sets) of every previous movement you've done. They are stepping stones to get you where the gettings good. Worst case is you have to repeat a 9-12 micro if you really want that mastery set back for whatever reason.
Yeah, that's my assumption. I hope that's the case.
Nash said:Yeah, I was using push-ups as an example. Once you're 10 progressions deep into a movement it would be very hard and time consuming to warm-up with the movements that you're concerned about losing mastery on.
Maybe have a different warm-up for different days.
I'm still not sure what we're supposed to do about this.
I feel like, let's say you're way beyond F1, if you perform PPP's as part of your warm-up (let's say you do 21 reps of PPP). Do you really need to keep incline pushups or normal pushups in your warmups?
I can go into other examples too, for example if you've followed Foundation and trying to perform mastery on Straddle Planche, then I'm sure you can do mastery for Tuck Planche
In another thread, Coach recently said this, which seems pertinent:
"Once you have mastered an element; your primary focus and energy spent should shift to mastering the new progression. If you tried to maintain five mastery sets of every single skill, you would soon spend all of your energy warming up and have nothing left for the workout itself."
Coaches progressions carve out a large swath of strength and mobility toward the end game exercise. This helps eliminate injuries and poor form as we march toward the end game. Because we continue to work many of the same muscles in similar, but different ways I think we always keep some of the earlier progression abilities at least the extent that we will never have any critical weaknesses with them.