This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scheduling personalisation

Started by Jon Douglas, June 12, 2014 · 15 Replies · 679 Views

Jon Douglas

Hi all,

I'm putting this in the F3 forum because I will probably make mention of F2-3 material in working through this :)

Several months ago I decided to down-shift from 3xF7+3xHS to 2xF7+2xHS, and noticed a pick up in progress. However, as I've started to consolidate some of the progressions, I am turning my attention more towards my weak spots-- most particularly planche and HS.

This week (week 1 of this cycle) I have trialled the 5-day/week schedule, and although I understand it's probably just way early to make a judgement I can't help but think that if this was for me, I would be thriving from day 1. I worry that it will quickly become a grind. I've also noticed my elbows are a touch click-y by Wk1 day 4, something that only ever happened previously at the occasional end of a wk3 (and was 100% gone by halfway through deload). Seems an indication that a rest day in the middle is a good idea.

I also missed the reps on one side of my SL work today, which has been high-intensity but consistent for a few weeks, which has shaken faith in my ability to work F without days in between.

So I need to reassess and possiby change something.

1) I cut my week as a learning experience and return to my previous (very productive) schedule.

-- In this case I would switch things around a little to get an extra HS session or two in, also move pl to 3-4x a week to get more work on it.

-- I was also 100% raring to go every time, which is what led me to consider adding more volume .

2) I continue as I am and regard it as a transition period

3) Switch things around completely to fit in the extra work plus rest days.

--I have pondered the scheduling Coach and Daniel have both brought up, MWF 2x a day + S, and while I would be very hesitant to add the Saturday, I haven't discounted the whole AM: F7 PM: HS done MWF thing. Provided I get and respect my rest days, I feel I could trial this. I admit this could easily just be my eyes being much bigger than my stomach however.

I also am pursuing long (for me) sets of HS wall runs 2x a week, which I have confirmed as being most productive (for now) 2ce a week with 2 days between them. The M-Th F7 structure worked well because I would then do these on Tu-Fri. In terms of keeping things simple this is a vote towards the 2+2-4 approach.

Is it a case of if it ain't broken, don't fix it, why did you change a good thing you nutcase? Or should it be pretty quickly apparent whether a given amount of volume is appropriate, and adjusted immediately? Or am I overthinking it way too early and need to put in a few weeks before reconsidering?

I politely solicit opinions, experiences and input on scheduling, recovery and prioritising weak spots.

Addendum;

Please excuse my stream-of-consciousness, thinking-aloud paragraph style when lining my thoughts up for public consumption.

LateStarter@46
Jon Douglas said:

 

Is it a case of if it ain't broken, don't fix it, why did you change a good thing you nutcase? 

:D

 

Edit: On reflection, I think - regardless of what program you do - that there will be peaks of feeling on top of the world, looking and feeling good. So personally I wouldn't change your program at such a peak - wait until you've been in a trough for a while.

Jon Douglas

Yeah, best bet is I'm reading way too much into a single off day. Still, no reason not to ask the question and learn something :)

Michael Taylor

Jon, I fully understand the urge to tinker and change things!

It is clear that you are very clued up on what is and isn't working for you. To the extent that you pretty much seem to answer your own questions!

My only observation, and please take it for what you will, is that you seem to be making large scale changes to your programme. I have always had most success with small tinkers - adding little elements and letting them settle down before further change.

If the higher volume is something you would thrive on, it may be more productive to sneak your way back up to it

Your suggestion of extra work for HS and Planche would be a good starting point. Why increase everything else too? Let that settle in and then add a bit more if you thrive

As I said at the start - you already show a clear affinity with your reaction to the training. If you are questioning such a big change after a week, that may be an indicator!

Jon Douglas

Great post, Michael. It seems obvious when someone else says it ;) conservatively I will return to my 2xF7, with the addition of an extra HS day or two, and a bump up of planche work. In 8 weeks I will reassess as to whether some more Foundation work is appropriate.

 

Thanks for preaching the good word :)

 

Now, although that's me back on the straight and narrow, I would still like to hear more about scheduling and increasing volume if anyone has experience-- particularly in an external capacity, as a coach or instructor programming for someone else. Are there guidelines, markers to look out for? Or is there no course other than trial and error? How much time comprises a trial-- how can one tell whether they need to push through and adjust or it's not working? Does this one simply come down to experience?

Joshua Slocum

Maybe try something along the lines of:

MF: F7+HS AM/PM

W: sPL+HS

 

That way you still get rest days, but you can increase volume on the things that are needing work. 

Stephen Majerle

May also want to see how movement integrates with everything in a couple weeks before changing it up.

PhilTaylor

Hi,

 

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I want to ask 2 things:

1. Do you really train 2times F7 on the same day?

2. If yes, could you be so nice and tell me how did you work up to this amazing work capacity and how long did it take?

 

Thanks :)

Jon Douglas

1) No. For a while there I was doing F7 and HS on the same day 2 and then 3 times a week, but it became a grind. I said up there that I didn't think I could do the whole f7 workout twice in a day. I might be able to complete it, but I don't think its a sustainable schedule for me right now. I saw quicker progress when I changed it up to ler me focus on fewer things at a time. Where I said 2*F7, that is 2* a WEEK :)

That said, when more of these progressions are mastered and I drop back to single sets , I would look again at 2* a day. Trying to improve in so many different areas at once is taxing on me :S

2) Following the program and keeping up the pace built a several of Coachs boys up to that kind of volume. There's no secrets, just working hard. Have a look at Coachs posts on Allans training volume to blow your mind :)

PhilTaylor

Thanks for the fast reply! :)

1) So you work F7*2 times a week and some extra work or extra progessions at the moment? What do you mean with single sets? Do you work more than one progression for 1 element?

2) Can you please post some links I don´t finde the posts about Allan. Would be nice =)

 

And my last question is, do you train a lot of cardio?

 

Thanks once again=)

DonGray

Hi Jon

As it has been over a year since this was posted, I wonder how you're structuring your workouts now?

Jon Douglas

Since this topic I have dialled in further on my needs, rehabbed a shoulder impingement, and taken up gymnastics classes :) With that filling in the dynamic side of things, I have cut it down to each element 2x a week.

 

 

I'm training;

M- spl, hbp, RC, FL, 2 hours technical gym PM

W- Mn, SL, SLS, 2 hours technical gym PM

F- F7

 

Tues, Thurs, Sat- HS work including H1 and H2, stretch series

 

My self-supervised skill training (Fri and/or Sat) tends to be no more than an hour, it's pretty much just floor and high bar unless I'm at class because I don't have access to the other apparatus :)

DonGray

Hey Jon - 2 hours technical gym time as well as the rest of your training - you must have a lot of free time on your hands!  :)    

 

How do you structure your technical gym work? 

 

I would like to start playing around with some floor stuff with the hope to moving onto somersaults / backflips......but have no idea of where to start and what sort of conditioning I need until movement course comes out.

Jon Douglas
DonGray said:

you must have a lot of free time on your hands! :)

/quote]

HAHAHAHA! :D

No, I don't. But I prefer to be busy than bored :) I manage to squeeze it in because I enjoy it but its a bit of a juggling act.

My gymnastics training varies between complete open gym with coaches/higher levels wandering about who can be asked, to me getting one on one intensive for two hours, usually just going on one apparatus/element until it becomes apparent I have my wires crossed or I'm ahowing signs of a bad habit. I am happy to put it in the coaches hands. These are my favourite evenings as I come up a bit of a loss at open gyms-- not quite sure what I should be doing. These are definitely the most productive sessions for me.

Generally theres a group warmup, stretch, handstands, basic floor before spearing off in different directions depending on level and competitions upcoming. Clusters of similar level and motivation form and they grab a coach or senior level to teach or spot them.

To tell the truth I was hoping for a more structured class but there's a lot of child competitors come back in their 20s, 30s, 40s and they're generally just looking for fun and open gym style training.

DonGray

I guess that's the answer - if someone enjoys it and they want to do it, then they will find a way and similarly - I will find a way to fit this in.

 

Ohhhh I thought you might have had some inside information from coach as to how to structure this (care of an insiders glimpse to the movement course) ;)

 

I know my local gymnastics club has a list of the different grades and exercises for each, so I might look at that and start working through them.......until the Movement 1 rears it's ugly head :)

Jon Douglas
DonGray said:

I guess that's the answer - if someone enjoys it and they want to do it, then they will find a way and similarly - I will find a way to fit this in.

Ohhhh I thought you might have had some inside information from coach as to how to structure this (care of an insiders glimpse to the movement course) ;)

I know my local gymnastics club has a list of the different grades and exercises for each, so I might look at that and start working through them.......until the Movement 1 rears it's ugly head :)

I have some of the early movement material from seminar, but my knowledge has a lot of holes in this area. Doing regular drills with the competitive guys and group warmups including basic floor is good for me just now, and apparatus training constitutes most of my dynamic strength stuff. The work capacity I've gained from GST is far more than I need to perform routines at my basic, basic technical level so I am able to stack up a fair bit of low level work over the course of a few hours :)