This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE1 question about how to improve my form

Started by Dantes, June 10, 2014 · 15 Replies · 481 Views

Dantes

I fall to my feet on about 1/4 of the reps. I get my knees to my chest and as I try to hold for a split second I start to roll forward.

Edit for video:

I can't come to a conclusion for what is lacking here. Is my balance needing work? Do I have a muscle group that is lacking? What kind of imbalance would be causing this?

Is there anything additional I could be working to help with control/balance? Maybe holding the static position at the top longer?

I'll keep working it, and it has gotten better, but only because I have gotten better at the little fidgets that break form to maintain balance; which is not what I want.

Thank you for taking a look.

LateStarter@46

Could you put a video up so we can see how it's going?

Dantes

I will try my best after work today. I am on satellite internet and uploading never works well. I should be able to screenshot pictures in sequence though, but I will try for a video.

Dantes

Alright got the video up. Just did two real quick to keep the upload small.

Duff

Looks like a balance issue to me. Don't swing your arms so much, slow the reps down a little.

LateStarter@46

Just keep doing them, your body will work out how to stay balanced. Yes, doing some static holds (aim for 30s) in the top position will help.

BenHack

Hi Dantes

 

 I was having the same problem with this but found that having my arms slightly farther out to the side (widening their v shape) helped with the balance issue. Now it's just the endurance holding me back from mastery of this one ;)

 

Cheers

 

Ben

Riku Calderón

Yes. It's the arms. When you come so much upright and all the weight of your legs and arm are pulling you forward, there is nothing you can do to counter balance than take some weight of from the front. And that is your arms. So balance more with them.

Dantes

Awesome. Thanks guys, I'll play around with my arms and see what happens.

Damon Amato

OK now I'm curious about my own form.  I don't have a balance issue at all, but I can't physically get my chest to my knees at all.  They're probably 8-10" apart at the top of the movement.  If I use my arms to force my knees closer, still can't do it.  Is that going to be a problem?

Dantes

Yeah. If you can't get your knees to your chest, you'll have to figure out whether you are lacking strength, flexibility, or need to get rid of a gut.

It would assume it's your abdominal compression strength. I'm sure others will have some better suggestions, especially if you can get a video or figure out what is stopping your range.

Start working on your pike flexibility. Keep your back straight as you lean over then flex your abs and quads to pull yourself lower and hold for around 30 seconds. Think about bringing your chest to your knees to help keep your lower back straight. This should help your compression strength and glute + hamstring flexibility too.

Michael Cavanagh

I have the same knee to chest problem, also effects the SLS/PE1. I've started laying on my back and pulling my knees to my chest, like doing a cannonball in the pool. Seems to be helping the flexibility.

Damon Amato

I've got a history of disc degeneration at L4/5 as well has a spondylolysis at L4, so that could be why.  Dantes I can appreciate your point about the gut and that's fair to ask.  I'm no fitness model but my stomach is not "in the way."  I've started doing Jefferson curls because I feel like my hip flexors are doing the rep with good ROM but my trunk simply doesn't want to flex that far.

dynamo
Michael Cavanagh said:

I have the same knee to chest problem, also effects the SLS/PE1. I've started laying on my back and pulling my knees to my chest, like doing a cannonball in the pool. Seems to be helping the flexibility.

Assisted stretches certainly help and I do them, but I also like to do strength led stretching when I'm missing ROM in a strength based exercise.  Every morning right before I get out of bed, while lying on my back, I try to bring my knees to my chest using only my strength (w/ out the assistance of my hands) and I persist for about 20 sec (not going for reps like is done in MN/PE1).  I notice a stretch in my lower back when I do this and my strength / range of motion is improving over time as my knees seem to be getting closer to my chest.

 

THIS IS NOT A MN/PE1 SUBSTITUTE which is why I also do singles of MN/PE1 a few times a day (and squeeze as hard as I can at the top with a brief hold) to help w/ the neurological adaptation and ROM.  I'm just trying to do little things that might improve some of the strength / some of the range of motion required as opportunity presents itself.

dynamo
Dantes said:

Alright got the video up. Just did two real quick to keep the upload small.

I think one (or more) of your muscles are a little bit weak in the required range of motion.  It could even be that small muscle on the outside of the leg near the hip (see Carmen's photo here showing that muscle bulging:  https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/Resources/carmen.jpeg)

 

As has been stated before, holding the top position for a period of time will help improve balance.  Also, try using your feet as a ballast by keeping them up a little longer which means not tucking them down so quickly.

Michael Cavanagh

Thanks for the insight. I'll try your suggestions.