Side lever, should the bottom elbow be locked?

Started by bigB, June 9, 2014 · 5 Replies · 2,266 Views

bigB

Should the bottom elbow be locked?


 


I've been locking mine and the low elbow is killing me during the hold. 


 


The pain is not as bad if I space my hands wider. I still have enough room for my head if I were to get my body horizontal but it's very close the stall bar.


B1214N

Yes locked arms for both.

bigB

That really puts a huge load on the elbow. 

 

 

It's a much higher load than PB supports in R1 and and the pre-reqs for that is completion of F2.

Riku Calderón

R1 shoud really be started after F4. There is the F2 rule for those who just cant wait. Not recommented tough.

jules

The closer the arms are, the greater the strain on the bottom arm.  If it's painful, you're most likely not ready to do it.

Its a lot of pressure on the lower body.  Either build the elbows up doing other types of support first (Plank, L-sit, Handstand)

or try it tucked to increase your leverage and therefore make it easier.  The 1st option is smarter for long term gains.

bigB

Side lever block is where I'm at in the SL foundation progression. 

My elbow was less painful after my deload week. 

 

I may have been overloading the elbow because I'd just started working SE1 in the RC progression and ADV frog stand.