Leg Raises Supinated Grip Form Check

Started by chuchodani, June 6, 2014 · 9 Replies · 3,824 Views

chuchodani

Hi guys ! Please check my form. Thanks

 

Rayne-William

I am wondering about this also. My unsupported hanging leg raises look similar.

chuchodani
GoldenEagle said:

I am wondering about this also. My unsupported hanging leg raises look similar.

Well but do you think is also the right way to do it or do you think it can be a better form ?

Rayne-William

If this picture of one of Coach's athletes doing single bar hanging leg raises is to serve as general guidelines.

 

Then yes, your form as well as my own form can be better. The only correction I would suggest is keeping our head in between our arms rather than allowing it to tilt backward using a shoulder width or narrower grip.

 

[Dragon Door Article: Developing the Hanging Leg Lift  (Coach Sommer, July 2005)]

chuchodani
GoldenEagle said:

If this picture of one of Coach's athletes doing single bar hanging leg raises is to serve as general guidelines.

 

Then yes, your form as well as my own form can be better. The only correction I would suggest is keeping our head in between our arms rather than allowing it to tilt backward using a shoulder width or narrower grip.

 

[Dragon Door Article: Developing the Hanging Leg Lift  (Coach Sommer, July 2005)]

I'm going to keep my head between my arms in my next workout thanks for that good information.

Rayne-William
chuchodani said:

I'm going to keep my head between my arms in my next workout thanks for that good information.

I just did and have to say the hanging leg raises were a little bit harder, but I had to use my abdominals more.

jules

When the head goes back, the back flattens reducing hip flexion. After this happens the lats must take over to finish the movement.

To prevent this choose a spot in front of you to stare at. With good form (and pike flexibility) you legs will come up and your shins will block your view.  Keeping the chin tucked and increasing your pike flexibility will improve the technique and draw more focus to the core. :)

chuchodani
jules said:

When the head goes back, the back flattens reducing hip flexion. After this happens the lats must take over to finish the movement.

To prevent this choose a spot in front of you to stare at. With good form (and pike flexibility) you legs will come up and your shins will block your view.  Keeping the chin tucked and increasing your pike flexibility will improve the technique and draw more focus to the core. :)

With "keeping the chin tucked" do you mean that I have to do a scapular elevation ? because doing leg raises I always depress my scapula.

Jon Douglas
chuchodani said:

With "keeping the chin tucked" do you mean that I have to do a scapular elevation ? because doing leg raises I always depress my scapula.

Tucking your chin doesn't mean elevation, it means keeping your head neutral. Don't stoop forward or crane back.

You should however allow your shoulders to elevate into a dead hang (from the weight of your body). Everything should be in the hips; improving your pike flexibility will eventually allow you to keep your toes underneath the bar at the top.

chuchodani
Jon Douglas said:

Tucking your chin doesn't mean elevation, it means keeping your head neutral. Don't stoop forward or crane back.

You should however allow your shoulders to elevate into a dead hang (from the weight of your body). Everything should be in the hips; improving your pike flexibility will eventually allow you to keep your toes underneath the bar at the top.

Thanks Jon ! I'm going to upload a better form leg raises tomorrow.