This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SPL/PE1 with elastic bands? Or PE2 + PE1>im

Started by Alessandro Pantanella, May 31, 2014 · 10 Replies · 259 Views

Alessandro Pantanella

Hi guys,

I guess I'm in a pretty common situation here.

I've been training for around 4 months now and was able to master spl/pe1 since day 1 but not the im.

In these months I've tried to clean the form in PE1 tried slight different hand position etc...

I feel like I could get more out of it while I manage to master the im . (BTW progress here is extremely inconsistent, one week I'm almost there another I'm back to the beginning).

I'm thinking to use an elastic band to increase the difficulty and make it a PE1.5

The other idea, but probably coach wouldn't approve it is to move to PE2 and keep the im from PE1 to make an hybrid exercise.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Alessandro

TANSTAAFL

It shouldn't be that inconsistent. Post a video, maybe someone can glimpse the offending problem.

Spphysio

Try also stretching your hip flexors a lot before the exercise and even every day multiple times per day...You might see immediate improvement in your hip internal rotation ROM by doing this.

Alessandro Pantanella

TANSTAAFL I'll try to post a video tomorrow.

Spphysio do you know a good stretch for hip flexors?

I do specific stretching in my warmup routine but may not be good enough

Riku Calderón

I had the same issue. I did 2 sec down 2 sec up and ppt. Still have good burn in shoulders and they get bigger. I did hurt my lower back resently so now im at the bekinning again with the iM :(

Spphysio

http://www.mikereinold.com/2014/03/true-hip-flexor-stretch.html

 

This is what you need for hip flexors. And do not forget while Stretching your hip flexors. Squeeze you Glutes and your abs while performing the stretch. You can use it multiple time a day for 30 seconds up to 2 minutes or even more. Just try to be sure you are performing it correctly.

Alessandro Pantanella
Riku Calderón said:

I had the same issue. I did 2 sec down 2 sec up and ppt. Still have good burn in shoulders and they get bigger. I did hurt my lower back resently so now im at the bekinning again with the iM :(

Sorry to hear. Hope you get better soon.

I went for a deep tissue massage and now I'm definitely more mobile.

I've also did the hip flexor stretch that's really a good one thanks!

This video is from after massage and stretch.

I think I'm almost there! Hopefully my mobility will keep improving and not fluctuating.

My glutes lift a bit wen my knee is on the floor, I could slide my flat hand below it.

Edit:

http://youtu.be/km_R0EcC9Ro

TANSTAAFL

Yeah, that looks pretty good. My glutes lift very slightly as well, a little more on one side. I'm not sure if a very slight gap is OK for mastery, but the athlete on the demo vid definitely has one.

 

Also I've(and others) have had luck with doing weighted stretches in the swivel position, i.e. putting a weight on the outside of the thigh/knee and just sitting there for a long while/working it around every now and again. Another thing is if you make the angle on the inside of the knee a little less than 90 degrees, it is much easier to keep the glutes down.

 

I'm actually not sure it's possible for some people to not have the slightest gap from glutes to ground at a perfect 90 degree. For example, if someone has more muscle(or fat) on their backside, they would be able to have no gap and potentially be way less mobile than where you are.

Alessandro Pantanella

I agree, even a bit less than 90 really helps.

I'm a bit frustrated because even if I did this exercise for months the only improvements came from foam rolling the side of my glutes and going for massage.

I was expecting to get better at it from doing the actual exercise as well.

Also I'm hoping not too lose ROM once I move on and don't do this exercise anymore.

Hopefully one S1 is released it will help with to speed up ROM gains.

I'll try the weighted version this week, hopefully it will help.

For the PE I decided to use the elastic band to make it more challenging.

TANSTAAFL

You can do the iM multiple times a day outside of the actual workout as well. Also, I would stick this in your WU/cool down permanently after you move on if this was a major mobility issue for you.

Alessandro Pantanella

It's a good suggestion, I've tried to do it as often as I can but not sure if it helped at all. I'm talking about doing 3x10 or 5x10 once or twice extra days a week or less Reps but keep the position for longer.

The main thing I discovered is that I have no clue about what's the best way to approach joints mobility training. I mean how intense how often, holding position or just dynamic stuff...

I remember once I bumped in a essay by coach that talked about how to approach joint mobility but can't find it anymore.

Hopefully the weiner will help with clarifying these points.