Poor wrist mobility

Started by mic_skelly, May 30, 2014 · 5 Replies · 2,422 Views

mic_skelly

I have been following GB for about 5 years and doing wrist work pretty much 2 times a week before workouts. My wrist strength seems to have improved over this time but I have not gained much mobility in wrist flexion. I think I have pretty good mobility in most directions but I can barely get beyond a shoulders over wrists position when stretching in a pushup style position with fingers pointing forwards and palms on the ground.

I have actually found that when I have my arm out straight in front of me and try to flex my wrist so my fingers point to the sky that I can only get to about 50 degrees. My mum seems to have the same problem so could this just be a hereditary thing? It makes things like the wall handstand with wrists close to wall quite painful.

chuchodani

Well I always before workout do this wrist prep Min 1:24

mic_skelly

Yeah that is the position I mean, for whatever reason my wrist just won't let me go far beyond shoulders over hands. It really should have improved in the last 5 years!

chuchodani
mic_skelly said:

Yeah that is the position I mean, for whatever reason my wrist just won't let me go far beyond shoulders over hands. It really should have improved in the last 5 years!

Are you using perfect form ? Straight Arms elbow pit looking forward fingers spreads ?

mic_skelly

Yeah I am always making sure my arms are straight and have the crease of my elbow facing forward. I only really noticed recently that my flexibility is non existent in that direction compared to most other people

chuchodani
mic_skelly said:

Yeah I am always making sure my arms are straight and have the crease of my elbow facing forward. I only really noticed recently that my flexibility is non existent in that direction compared to most other people

Well it's difficult made a diagnostic without know your background and other things but personally I made my wrist flexible by doing frog stands ,handstands with back facing the wall, and wrist prep because at the very beginning my wrist turn sore all the time but later after a couple of months I can do planche leans, handstand work and planche work without any kind of

disturbance in my wrist.