This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Peculiar pain in wrist push ups

Started by Dantes, May 29, 2014 · 6 Replies · 202 Views

Dantes

I want to zero in on what is lacking here to cause it and I can't find it described anywhere else.

I'm going to stick with PE2 until things change as it occurs at PE3.

It's a sharp pain that occurs on both the backside of the wrist and the inside too.

My best observational guess is that the joint is maybe loose. Ligaments and such aren't keeping the joint packed? There is zero residual pain as soon as my wrists are straight, nothing seems to be pinching, my muscles aren't straining to make the rep.

In the videos the hand is always open and flat on the mat before pushing back up. I find if I curl my fingers in and then push up to my knuckles I don't feel it nearly as much but it's still there. Which also brings into question if this screws up form.

The visualization I use is pushing my first knuckles out to straighten my wrists. (Like visualizing pushing your lower back into the ground during a hollow body.) Should I visualize something different such as pushing my wrists inward. Apologies if that is confusing.

I'll provide any other info that you ask for. None of the other wrist exercises give me pain. None of the stretches hurt, though I can't fully rotate WE4 to point backwards yet.

Thank you for any thoughts or ideas.

RJS

Just a guess but if you think it comes and goes without it being an actual injury, then you could just be tight in a certain direction of the forearm.

Might need to focus more on warming up, stretching, etc.

dritar

How does Wrist Stretch #2 feel ?

Dantes

#2 isn't comfortable, but not painful. The stretch feels more like there is pressure on the underside (opposite of the stretch side) of my wrist. The pain, which is not much, occurs only through the mid area of a wrist pushup.

It just occurred to me that it feels like I may be pinching a nerve because I start to feel the very edge of that numb feeling in the underside of my forearm. I can produce this same numb feeling by flexing my wrist to its max ROM in the same direction, and it feels like it could be a ROM thing too. Flexing that way for long will cramp my forearm to where I have to pull my fingers back out of the contraction.

Hopefully this is just a sign of tightness.

dritar

In my uneducated opinion it sounds like one of those things that might go away eventually if you don't aggravate it.

 

Just to be cautious, if I were you I'd repeat PE2 for a month, maybe slowing down the movement just to make a bit harder (as long as there's no pain) than last cycle but not as hard as PE3 and look into some forearm massage and looking into trigger points just to see if that makes it better.

Mark Collins

These exercises are intense so take your time. There were times when my wrists were killing during the wrist push ups but were fine when not doing them. Take your time and repeat the cycle until you can do them pain free. Unless you have had a traumatic injury to the wrist it is highly unlikely you have an unstable wrist.

It also helps to release any trigger points and stretch the wrists daily. If you still have problems get some professional help.

Dantes

Alright. Thanks everybody. My satellite internet has been out for nearly a week.

 

I'll put some extra time into rotating my wrists beforehand, some extra time stretching and slow down PE2. I've never had a wrist injury, and I have been noticing some increased ROM. As for massage I've been putting the back of my forearm flat on the ground and using my knee and shin to put some nice deep pressure in there.

 

You guys really helped, thank you.