This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/pe5 & pe6 comparison/form check

Started by Nino Begovic, May 29, 2014 · 8 Replies · 302 Views

Nino Begovic

I've been on sPL/pe6 for a while now until I started recording myself and found that my hands 'feel' like they are a lot closer (down) toward the hips than they actually are, and I am not really satisfied with the overall feel of my performance in this particular exercise. I dont seem to get in touch with the shoulder blades, most of the work is in the hands and shoulders i think. Im looking for advice whether to go back to sPL/pe5 (or further back) or if I should stay om pe6? I think if I would pike a bit that the upper back would be more rounded but that is not right either is it?

I'll upload some recordings from today:

Elevated Planche Lean1.MOV

Elevated Planche Lean2.MOV

Planche Lean.MOV

LateStarter@46

Not sure about anybody else, but I can't view the videos.

Nino Begovic
LateStarter@46 said:

Not sure about anybody else, but I can't view the videos.

I think .mov files can only be opened in QuickTime player? Maybe in VLC, I'm not sure. Anybody else having same problem? In that case I might need to convert them to another format.

piotro

Not the best angle, but in first movie it looks like you have lost protraction in first seconds of first lean, similar in second lean.

Second movie - excessive curve in wrong segment of spine, rather than protraction.

Third one - again looks like there is not much protraction and what is there you loose it quickly.

Also not sure if this holds were around your max time (you seem to be struggling a bit), but if so the you are definitely not yet ready for this element.

Upload recordings showing earlier progressions.

 

Kate - VLC is a good, free player that will open some file types you may not be able right now (or you may have some suitable player installed, but .mov file not associated with it).

Gavin S

I have to agree with piotro, it looks like you are struggling in the elevated leans. Your body shape isn't quite there (protraction) and you are moving quite a lot in the hold, a sign you aren't quite ready yet. I would drop it back to pl leans or even a progression before to get the activation and shape correct. 

Nino Begovic

First off, thank you for your detailed feedback piotro.

piotro said:

Not the best angle,

From what angle would you prefer I record from next time?

 

 

piotro said:

Also not sure if this holds were around your max time (you seem to be struggling a bit), but if so the you are definitely not yet ready for this element.

This is not my max time I can do a couple of sets of 24 seconds but yes I am really struggling.

 

During PLL someone told me to put the ass lower to make the body a straight line, but it may be what is breaking the protraction?

 

 

piotro said:

Upload recordings showing earlier progressions.

 

I will upload ASAP. What angle you prefer from?

 

 

Gavin S said:

I have to agree with piotro, it looks like you are struggling in the elevated leans. Your body shape isn't quite there (protraction) and you are moving quite a lot in the hold, a sign you aren't quite ready yet. I would drop it back to pl leans or even a progression before to get the activation and shape correct. 

Thank you for feedback too Gavin. I'll definitely need to go back a step or too. 

 

 

What do you guys think about hand positioning? I'm trying to have the hands straight forward. Do you think it's better to change the angle a bit to the sides?

piotro

Try to get camera higher, around shoulder height, so that we can see shape of your back better.

 

I had a lot of problems (still have a bit) with back shape like yours in second video, what helps me is to have a mirror on the side where I can see my back during exercise and correct the shape if I got it wrong from the beginning.

I stopped thinking about rounding back, hollow shape, etc. I just try to push hands into the ground (and depress scaps a bit) while trying to keep spine neutral (the same shape like before exercise) with some PPT in lower back, this gives me nice shape without that excessive spine curve while shoulders are protracted. Try it couple of times checking your form in the mirror.

 

Regarding hands positioning - whatever you feel comfortable, if you feel stress on your wrists during lean, try to get them to the sides to reduce it, just don't go fingers pointing back/past 90deg yet (stress on the elbow you may not be ready for yet).

Nino Begovic

Hi again,

 

I am sorry for delayed response I injured my tendons or something in the front shoulder part during the last session. Had to rest a bit before attempting sPL elements again.

 

Anyways, what I did today to correct my form was:

• Instead of looking forward (parallel to floor), I changed my head to neutral, looking down (as in course video).

• Instead of making a straight body line between feet and shoulders I raised the bum a bit.

These two corrections made the point of tension transfer to the upper back instead of everywhere else for me.

 

Here is a video from todays attempt.

 

Planche lean updated.MOV

Other than the feet, what do you guys think? How is the form?

 

 

Nino Begovic

Just saw that I am correcting my form in the middle of the clip. I like the form during the last half of the clip, when I do the corrections I mentioned in the above post.