This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapula Position for bottom of RC/PE3

Started by NoHiddenCosts, May 29, 2014 · 13 Replies · 345 Views

NoHiddenCosts

I'm under the impression that we should be starting all pulling elements from a deadhang (scapula elevated or protracted, depending on angle of pull).

 

Is this true of the Horizontal pulling elements, like RC/PE3? Should we start from a "deadhang" (meaning scapula protracted)?

 

Also, when pulling from a deadhang from any angle, should we initiate the pull from our scapula, then followed by the lats? Or should we just start with the lats right away?

Alan Tseng

Fully protracted to fully retracted for rows, i pull from scapula

RJS

Does one have a choice? My lats are engaged when i make coffee every morning. Are we saying we can and should disengage for certain moves? 

 

A fine question indeed

NoHiddenCosts

@RJS, the way I have been doing them: I start fully protracted. Then I shrug, retracting my scapula, then I actually start pulling with my lats and arms to the top of the motion. Reverse, repeat.

 

I was just curious if, from a deadhang, we should retract THEN do the rest of the pull (as I have been), or if we should just start bending the elbows right away.

 

Either way seems to end up in full retraction at the top of the motion. The first retracts right away, while the second seems to do it gradually over the motion (just discovered this today by trying!).

RJS

Looks like course video is one fluid motion, no protraction.

Starts with tight body line and pulls from there, and a careful descent to avoid protraction.

I have been protracting at bottom for first rep only, then only let myself to locked elbows and tight body line, back up.

I wouldnt do a two step motion like a shrug for retraction from being protracted, seems not needed here. IMO

RJS

So many other PE3 focusing on protraction, so were not missing out once we get to rc/pe3

NoHiddenCosts

Yeah, the course video is the reason I posted here. I swear I remember Coach and others stating that pullups should always be done from deadhang, so it seems surprising that we would not start building to that on these lighter loads. But the athlete doesn't seem to be doing much of a deadhang...

Also, while protraction is certainly covered in planche and HBP work, I feel like this would emphasize the strength of retraction much more, which is not really present in the other elements.

RJS

You could be correct, the video is not always accurate.

Jon Douglas

A dead hang in this position doesn't involve active protraction, no need to exaggerate it. In doing pullups from a dead hang, you hang. You don't actively elevate to get further down :) you let your weight draw you into the bottom position

Retraction is part and parcel of full rom rows. If you want to work scap rows you can, but then you wouldnt bend your arms.

RJS

and there you have it

NoHiddenCosts
Jon Douglas said:

A dead hang in this position doesn't involve active protraction, no need to exaggerate it. In doing pullups from a dead hang, you hang. You don't actively elevate to get further down :) you let your weight draw you into the bottom position

Retraction is part and parcel of full rom rows. If you want to work scap rows you can, but then you wouldnt bend your arms.

Ah, yes, I did not mean to imply that I was actively protracting at the bottom! The athlete in the video just didn't seem to be relaxing his scapula into the deadhang. 

 

I guess what I'm currently doing is a scap row and THEN bending the arms, rather than bending right away. But perhaps it doesn't matter? As long as you are deadhang at the bottom and retracted at the top?

kingzlo

I'm guessing you should do dead hangs like with RC/PE1 (I'm on week 8 of this).  If it feels natural to go that route and it's full range of motion go for it.  It reminds me of bent-over rows with a barbell and the bar is meant to go full range of motion.  And I believe your body will naturally activate the lats, scapula, maybe even pulling of the shoulders in that natural sense of ROM.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

RJS
kingzlo said:

...I believe your body will naturally activate the lats, scapula, maybe even pulling of the shoulders in that natural sense of ROM.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thats my thought as well

Mats Trane

I always try start the pull with my scapula, lats and then use my arms. I feel much stronger this way.