This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handling Uneven Exercise Progression

Started by Lucas Stevenson, May 28, 2014 · 6 Replies · 315 Views

Lucas Stevenson

Hi Everyone!

First time poster, just started F1 a couple of weeks ago.  I've got a solid background in strength training (personal trainer/massage therapist for nine years now, martial arts for six), and I've decided to really start from scratch with this course, due to after-effects of a few old injuries, joint instabilities, etc.

First got the course, I tried testing out at Week 11 of PE1 and accompanying mobility; this was relatively easy with the exception of the Hinge Row, which wasn't even close - I can perhaps manage 4x6 in honest form.

I've currently scaled back to Week 1 and cut out virtually all other direct strength work with the intention of really shoring up any weaknesses in my joints and so forth.

My first question:  if there is a particular exercise that's lagging (as in the above example), is the OFFICIAL word just to drop all of the other exercises back to the level of the lagging exercise?  

My other question is regarding exercise repetition - in the mobility section, when it states to do a drill for 5r, 10r, etc., is that in both directions, or is that to be divided between directions?  This isn't a big issue now, as the mobility is relatively easy, but I'd like to get my head straight on it before the drills become more challenging.

Thank you so much in advance for the input - I truly appreciate it!

Sincerely,

Lucas

Barboy

You should probably go to the private forums. There is one, for those of you who have bought it. :)

Lucas Stevenson

Oops, my bad - thought I was in the private forum for some reason.  Thanks for the heads up!

qore

My understanding, is that you can have exercises in different locations.  For e.g. the settings tab  at http://my.gymnasticbodies.com/ lets you choose where you are for each exercise individually.    You just can't start in the middle of mini-cycle, e.g. week 2.    Although, I think if you are on a 2nd week of the four week cycle, and are switching and individual exercise you would want  to be on the second week as well.  This is partially to line-up the deload weeks across exercises.  I have seen someone suggest that if for some reason this is not the case, you can just do 50% of what you did on the previous week.  

Fede HD

No, the exercise are indipendent. So for instance, if you can master all PE1 except Hinge Rows, you should progress di PE2 on all the other exercise, while keep working on hinge rows. I currently am in PE6 for some, and PE 2 or 3 in others. So keep goign where your stregth is and be patient on the one who takes longer to master.

 

For your second question, here is the answer :

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/13403-new-to-foundation-one-start-here/

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/13404-foundation-one-exercise-faq/

 

Have a nice day!

Jon Douglas

Can confirm that the official word is to progress them independently as explained above ^

 

Personally I am still finishing up F2 in my weakest progression, most are scattered through F3, and a couple at the end of F4. No problem; they will all even out at the end of the series.

Lucas Stevenson

Thanks for the feedback everyone - that clears it up for me.  I appreciate the great answers!